Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

what engine is 33 Cloverleaf

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jobrien389
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: what engine is 33 Cloverleaf Reply with quote

I have recently purchased and now owner of a Alfa 33, but I dont really know what engine it has. Im chuffed to bits with the car I think its great. but for insurances purposes I need to know if it has 8 valves or 16 Valves?

can anyone tell me?
My Car is a G Reg Alfa 33 1.7 Cloverleaf Veloce. (body kit, alloy wheels if makes difference)

I think its a 8 valve because nothing on the engine says 16v. but texts say
that the Cloverleaf was 16 valve. to me it looks like a 8valve, as i say no 16v marks on engine and has a alfa airbox on top of engine. (am totally new to all this) if 8valve..then wow! what would 16v like. must find one to buy!!

am v pleased with car. v v fast and such a fantastic engine sound and exhaust note with occasional popping (slight concern if this is not normal). engine lovely and revvey. does not appear to be modified in any way

also am about to do a basic engine tidy, oil change, new plugs, HT Conponents. can you reccomend best plugs and HT to purchase ! Great, thanks
Jonathan
Devon

Recent alfa owner! possibly convert
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: what engine is 33 Cloverleaf Reply with quote

Hi,

Beside 16v mark on intake http://home.planet.nl/~r.f.koper/oliver_11.html
air intake body for each cyl. also splits wider then on 8v models which are almost binded toghether for each head/bank.

It's easy to tell.
If you can see with your eye top of spark plugs then yours is 8v, and spakplugs are under some angle to horizontal plane

On 16v spark plugs cannot be seen, (they are between intake/exhaust cam covers), and they are totaly horizontal.

Other ways are: by chasis or even better engine number.

http://www.carsfromitaly.com/alfaromeo/index.html

Tino
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: 8v-16v Reply with quote

Hi Jonathan
Welcome to the joys of Alfa motoring and to the discussion list.
As your car is a Gplate around 1990 I would say it is a series 2,I owned exactly that model until a year ago and for sure that it is an 8v as the 16v didnt come out until later.
I would imagine that the airbox to which you refer is a rectangular one,and if you look at either end of it you will see either weber or dellorto carbs.
As for plugs Lodge are the recomened plug but I have bosch in mine at the moment which seem to work ok.
I think with HT leads the more you spend the better you get is a general rule.And probably the same with oil but as long as you change it every 5000 to 6000 miles your engine will last you well.
All the best with it Ian...
Solo
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you car is a series 2 (as already said) 1.7 with two carburettors 8V
Dellorto or Weber (should be written).
The giveaway is an airbox over the engine, not sideways as in injection models.

However, which is unlikely, that someone has made a carb conversion
of the 16V Smile
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum