Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

cam belt tensioners/ changing cambelts

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich B
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: cam belt tensioners/ changing cambelts Reply with quote

Hello all, sorry this has kind of been covered before but I just wanted to clarify a couple of things.

As you'll see from my other post I got some prices on some stuff but i got some conflicting information.

It seems that a complete cambelt tensioner unit is not available but the relevant component parts are. Mangoletsi do the brackets and washers and pins and wheels (which I think contain the bearings) separately, Alfa Shop didn't really seem sure and implied they wouldn't need changing and Just Suds said that they could get these, but not to bother with changing the cam belt pulleys as they don't really wear out.

Which is correct and whats the score with whats available? My idea was to do the lot and forget about it as the engine is out of the car at the moment.

Thanks
markgp4
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi john,
i bought the set of pulley wheels (from alfashop Smile ) and got a local machine shop to press the tensioner wheels off and back on for a tenner. the other pair just tap off, and everything else is as it was and seems to be fine and dandy.
I would say the only part likely to fail is the pulley wheel...
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: cam belt tensioners/ changing cambelts Reply with quote

Hi Rich

do the lot.you do not want a pulley to fail trust me on that.plus as the engine is out.its an easier job.

john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, I bought a lovely 33saloon for spares for my sportwagon, with a broken engine, the owner reckoned the cambelt had gonew, when i took the lump out it turned out the tensdioner bearings had collapsed, these look really cheap and flimsy even next to the metro tensioer i replaced this weekend. Replace them without a doubt. By pulleys do you mean cam pulleys? These will never wear out I would think. Replacing thewm would be futile. If there are other wheels to change the direction of the belt then spin them with no belt on, if they make a noise or even spin freely they are worn and should be replaced. A good one should stop quite quickly as the bearing should be 'tight'. Hope this helps
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a cambelt tensioner bearing fail, five months after I had the belts replaced but not the tensioners... The tensioner bearing made a high-pitched squeal once or twice when I started the car. The bearing must have seized then the tensioner pulley itself must have disintegrated, which caused funny diesel clatterings from the motor for about a week before the belt came off in the middle of town. Crying or Very sad

When the mechanic took the motor apart he found the tensioner pulley had no surface left for the belt to run on, and it wouldn't turn any more...

So yes, replace the cambelt tensioners!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: