Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Engine swap and runing problems (5 questions !!)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yvon
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Engine swap and runing problems (5 questions !!) Reply with quote

First, thanks for all your advise. This week-end I swap the two engine on my 33 16V.

Status now : camfollower noise is OK ... no more clicking Razz . However, engine doesn't have any power, is back firing, loud is like a Citroen 2CV and some pufff in admission. Mad

I proceed to the camshaft belt replacement and respect all pointers and rechecked several time. However I'm still convinced they are not correct.

Q1 : when you place the belt with 2 pointers on upper pulley and the pointer on lower pulley in between upper pointers, lower pulley(exhaust) seems to start compress but doesn't look to be at 12 o'clock. So I force it to be on 12 o'clock. Am I wrong. Upper pulley, go wrong as soon I release the belt. So I also place it at 6 o'clok by adjusting the pulley (this looks correct to me)

Q2 : when I proceed to the test with small triangle, is there any way to know for sure belt are correctly placed. It looks to me, you can easly be wrong by one tooth. When one side has the triangle correct, the other side is in the opposite side. Is this correct ?

Q3 : I would like to check if sparkplug are working but see a lot of time ... do not disconnect the plug. So how to check ?

Q4 : May I disconnect injectors leaving it on the rail. Cranking a few time and see a spray? How this should happens : all 4 together ?

Q5 : May I electrically disconnect the injectors one at a time when engine is running and check for variations ?

Sorry for all those questions that maybe already appear in this forum but I'm quit lost after working 16 hours to swap engine and another 16 hours to fix this b..... problem that eat my brain.

Please, if you have any Idea and Thanks in advance for any response,
Yvon Duvivier
Yvon
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made some progress on this subject.

Q1 : when marks are aligned, turn WITHOUT releasing tensioner until triangles are aligned. Then release tensioner on that side. Continue to turn until triangles from other side are aligned and release tensioner form that side. When both belts are in tension, check again the marks. I my case I should start a bit misaligned to get correct alignment when belts are released.

Q2 : Yes, a V should appear on the flywheel. BUT DO NOT CHANGE if they are not perfectly aligned. This position for camshaft is just to be sure none of the valves are pushing on the camshaft. They do NOT have to be aligned.

Q3 : not yet checked

Q4 : not yet checked

Q5 : YES, unclips before starting the engine. Start it and disconnect one at a time. You should clearly see the difference and engine can even stop.

In my case, cylinder 1 and 2 are working BUT not 3 & 4 !!!!
I change fuel rail and recover about 75% power but still looking for the 25% missing.

Do you know any reason why cylinder 3 & 4 are not working (no RPM diff when I disconnect the injectors)

Ciao
Yvon
Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q3: Remove the plug from the engine, connect the connector and touch a metal part of the engine with the spark plug's thread. Let someone crank the engine, you should now see the spark. Done it many times, no probs. Personnaly I would then also disconnect the the injector in order not to let unburned fuel get to the cat. One more thing: I avoid holding the connected plug with bare hands - nothing should happen, but once I tried to disconnect the plug when the engine was running and got a nice electric shock Shocked

May sound obvious but the reason for not working cilinders is that wheter there is no spark, or no air-fuel mixture.

Good luck

Marcin
Matt C
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take special care when connecting and disconnecting components on your engine wiring harness, such as injectors as you may ZAP your ECU Shocked
Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what worring me !! Even if I have a spare ECU I don't want to burn it. Rolling Eyes Probably will apply a strobe with induction clip.

I'll continue in my "power" research !!

However, thanks for your answers
Ciao,
Yvon
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: