Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Steering noise.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Steering noise..... Reply with quote

All,

Just developed a new 33 gremlin! When turning the steering wheel (car running or not, and steering either way) the steering is making a 'knock knock knock' noise.

When the steering is stopped - the noise isn't heard, only when moving it.

Any ideas?

It doesn't sound like anywhere around the wheels - kinda like from behind where the steering column goes through the firewall into the engine bay.

Bob
lee16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.....mine has that too Evil or Very Mad
If you look behind the AFM there's a joint.....smoke it you'll feel better!
Sorry, there is a joint between column and rack, and it's here my noise comes from, yours too probably. I greased mine last year for a quick fix which was fine but now it's back! I'm going to investigate further.
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee, Sounds like a plan Laughing

Serious side though.... gonna take the whole lot off tomorrow and look into it. Interesting about the joint behind the AFM... that's EXACTLY where the sound is coming from.

Steering wheel -> column -> universal joint (for steering height) -> through the bulkhead -> then SOMEWHERE around here.

Thanks for the reply.

Bob
evanbottcher
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a strut bearing. When the strut bearing has gone dry and siezed up then turning the wheel will apply a rotating force to the spring itself, which I think must then slip around in the spring pan making a knock knock knock sound. This happened to me a while ago in the Sud and I thought it was the rack. You can feel the knock very firmly through the steering wheel.

Another symptom of this problem is that after turning a sharp left the spring is wound to the left and so the car will pull to the left for a bit. The opposite if you turn a sharp right.

I think you should be able to tell by looking at the spring itself while someone turns the wheel and see if it is moving.

hope this helps,

Evan.
markgp4
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have that knock too im pretty sure its the pan bearing as in my rush to get car ready i did not replace one i knew was dead...
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're talking about steering noises, my car makes loud snapping noises from the steering column each time the indicator self-cancellers pass the indicator stalk as you rotate the steering wheel. Passengers ask me if something is broken!
Something is always broken, of course, but I suspect that it's not the indicator self-cancellers - they're just meant to be that loud. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: