Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

RPM Counter

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: RPM Counter Reply with quote

Hello from Greece,

It has been a few weeks since my Alfa's rpm counter is making some instant "tickings" when idle. When the engine is running on normal temperature (more or less 15-20 min after initial start) the rpm indicator is "ticking" from 900 to 1100-1200 rpm without the engine performing in these rpms.
The strange thing is that this occurs only when idle. My alfa dealer told me that this problem originates from the ignition coil (Bosch elec. system)
Has anyone experienced such a problem?

Tks Smile

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a catalysor on exhaust ?In that case lambda probe can be faulty.

Also 15 to 20 min to reach normal temp is a bit long, the thermostat is not closing anymore the water circuit. It should be around 10 min even if you start gently and for sure in your country. Mine take 15 min when temp is below 0°C. What the indicator show you when you drive on a highway ?

I notice after a very warm summer, thermostat has some problem to close again next winter.

Ciao,
Yvon
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,

Yes my car is equipped with catalytic convertor ; in fact what does the lamda probe have to do with the rpms? isn't it irrelevant since it measures the differences in oxygen in air and gases? In addition the car has 69500 kms, so the L probe is working fine as the car is within the normal emissions when measured.
However I exaggerated about the warming time; It is more or less 10 - 15 min maximum and when running on highway the temperature is constant 80-85 degrees.
About the rev counter: I checked out the workshop manual and the electrical system diagram and i noticed two "suspicious " components.
1. the coil connector plug and
2. the rev counter module (inside the dashboard)

So when the weather becomes again fine (it has been raining for two days) I 'm gonna take a look to both of them. I 'll keep you informed

gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Two days ago the weather at last "allowed" me and I managed to dismantle the ignition coil - I cleaned aout the connectors, I installed a new rubber insulation for the plug like connector since it was somehow worn out and generally this subcomponent is now clean and electrical connections are now better.
Result: The ticking still remains BUT not as frequent as it used to be.Today I drove about 100 kms an the highway without any "ticking"
Yesterday it happen only once when I drove downtown.
Anyway, the "phenomenon is under observation" and the next step will be to check the module inside the dashboard and probably replace it from a crashed Alfa.

Bye from Greece

Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

When it is dark, have a look to see if the plug leads are shorting out to anything. If the boots are worn, then maybe the plug leads are also worn.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: