Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Sud pulling problem...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dreamracers
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Sud pulling problem... Reply with quote

My Ti Sud is doing wierd things, pulling right, and more noticeable at speed.

Brakes are fine - have been checked thoroughly

Tracking checks fine

Has new rubber all round (nice pirellis), was fine last year, stored over the winter, MOTd and its done this since Shocked

Any suggestions folks?

Thanks in advance!
Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

basically I have the same problem with my 33. I also checked several things - replacement of the shot bearing under the shock absorber didn't help. The only thing I can still think of is a weak spring. Will be replacing them soon.

Cheers

Marcin
Dreamracers
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcin wrote:
Hi,

basically I have the same problem with my 33. I also checked several things - replacement of the shot bearing under the shock absorber didn't help. The only thing I can still think of is a weak spring. Will be replacing them soon.

Cheers

Marcin

Thanks Marcin

Has it been OK to live with in the meantime? How long you had the prob?
Dicko

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Stop pulling! Reply with quote

How are your shocks Confused How did the last tyres wear???

Im trying to decide if to buy new springs... I dont really want to lower the car... But Im a bit suspect on the 17 year old springs in my car(33).
I am over hauling the complete suspension and ...if new springs fix your problem... I will certainly do the same to mine. Dont mean to use you as a guinea pig.

I asked a local respected suspension shop ... there (some fella in the shop front) advice was that if not lowering the car... keep the old springs... Unless someone has tried to anneal them they will be fine even after this longer time. Maybe dropping 5mm tops.

Am I to beleive this...???? Ive had bad Strut bearing before... and bad shocks all of which must stress the springs....

Next idea is.... are springs available that are new... but same ride hieght???? +/- hardness.....

Its only about $500 for lowering springs....

Hope you pass on your fix for your car...

RIch
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has it always done this?

Measure the wheel base on each side they should be identical, if not it may have been crashed and the chassis is bent.
Dreamracers
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary UK wrote:
Has it always done this?

Measure the wheel base on each side they should be identical, if not it may have been crashed and the chassis is bent.

That is my worry

Had the car since last March, stored it over the winter and sure it didnt have that prob last year...

BUT, it seems a lot better today... WIERD! Still cant help but love the damned thing. Taking it on a run to the BTCC at Thruxton on Sunday/Monday. Will report in again after the trip.

Dicko - lowered springs can be bought in the UK for around £100 - not sure what that is in $ (US, AUS, or NZ?) but sure it is cheaper...

As far as I am aware all the bouncy bits on my Sud are good tho'
Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I asked about the price of the new springs, and it's about 40euro a piece for the original stuff. At least, they say at the shop, that it's original. I'm going to replace them, as there is nothing else I could think of, that causes the pulling (in my case to the left). Besides, the springs are quite rusty by now, and it's not very hard to do the job.

Marcin
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having driven a 33 with a broken spring (top coil missing) it didn't make the car pull at all so I doubt this is your problem.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: