Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Blown 33

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Blown 33 Reply with quote

Thinking of creating a 33 Compressore. Any suggestions in terms of performance/cost/availability?

Performance should be interesting coming from the 1.3 engine, which is really asking for such a mod!

My brother and I are currently trying to solve the air-inlet problem, which is simply in the way. This also goes for the water pump and alternator.

The extra pully on the crank could power the thing; were the Alfa engineer's trying to tempt this or what? Just how can we fit it in?

We will probably also need a 16V gearbox, OMP clutch, new pistons for decreased compression ratio and a remapped chip. Not to mention Integrale brakes (all round?).

We think that a compressor will be more suitable than a turbo in terms of flexiblity; more power lower down the rev-range.
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think you will need to use a toothed belt that is a couple of centimetres wide. I suspect you would snap belts if you tried to use just a normal V belt or similar.
Mixsynth
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get a 16V engine - surely? Confused
16V conversion pics/videos - now updated with extra pictures and explanations
John Hansen
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: Kompressor or Turbo Reply with quote

Wouldn't this be easier. See article at www.autoseed.com/cms/A_1117/arcticl.hmtl which talks about dropping a Subaru EJ20 turbos into an ALFA 33. This should give 200 horses and according to the article is reasonably easy due to the fact that the alfa like the subaru has a NS flat four engine and there was plenty of width to squeeze the subaru into.
John Hansen
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Kompressor II Reply with quote

A guy I worked with suggested Eaton superchargers as a good "pice of kit". Info can be obtained from http://www.capa.com.au/eaton.htm
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John and Hugh,

I have already considered a Subaru engine, but would rather fit it into another 33 as a testbed (ie. locate a written-off Subaru with decent engine and shoe-horn the unit it into a mechanically dud 33 P4)

A compressor mated to an (Alfa) boxer engine should make a fabulous noise and would also present an interesting engineering project.

I will first have to consider insurance and road-approval in the Netherlands.

I shall keep you posted on the project.

Best regards

James
alexj
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to have a look at these.... a supercharged alfasud and supercharged Sprint:

http://home.t-online.de/home/Rauen/aspedy1e.html
http://www.allgoodtechnology.com/alfa/
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

There used to be a supercharged sprint about 1 mile from my house. The supercharger lived on top of the engine in line with the crank. It used a single SU carb and sucked through that. Then had 4 outlets from the supercharger with one pipe going to each inlet. The belt to drive it was only around 2cm wide.

By the way the 16V and 1.3 gearboxes on the series 3 have the same gear ratios, just that the 1.3 has a lower diff ratio.

All the best

Keith
John Hansen
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: The Kompressor Reply with quote

Hi James,
Any further action on this Question
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum