Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Running rich

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Running rich Reply with quote

Hi there,

recently my 33 failed the Dutch version of MOT. I was able to fix everything except: too much CO in the exhaust and wrong lambda factor. Too much CO = running rich. I thought that the lambda sensor is the problem, as its signal was near 0V almost all the time. So I got myself a new original sensor (not very cheap, those things!), reset the ECU and .... no go!
Any suggestions? I'm really pissed off, because the car is otherwise in good shape and I like it very much. It's oil consumption is not more than 0,5l on 1000km, which is reasonable. However, every time I start form cold, there is a blue smoke plume, but it's gone after few seconds. In the meantime I cleaned the injectors, checked the spark plugs, timing belt, throttle body. I think the next step is taking the heads off, but before I do that, I would like to know for sure it's necessary.

Thanks in advance

Marcin
Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone? OK, I know that this topic was already discussed many times on the "old" forum, but can't get back to that one anymore!

Your help is really very appreciated.

Thanks,

Marcin
Matt C
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running rich you get a higher Hydrocarbon %.
is the car blowing much smoke when running normally?
02 sensor will probably only oscilate betwwen 0 and 1
When you stop driving does the car blow smoke? (car idling) if so this could be pointing towards valve stem seals being worn.

Just a thought
Matt
Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

thanks for your reply! Actually the car is only blowing smoke when starting from cold (only few secs), no smoke during normal driving, but when in neutral and pushing the accelerator to reach about 5000revs then some (not much!) blue comes out. As I pointed out, the oil consumption is quite low, but of course I would see no smoke at ALL.
Running rich also gives you high CO, as there is not enough oxygen to burn the fuel completely to CO2, so it burnes partially to form CO.
I will have my ECU read out at an Alfa dealership, to check if maybe that's the problem. I really hope I can solve that problem, and have my 33 back on the road.

Marcin
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: