Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

smell of petrol in 33 16V

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ns_123

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: smell of petrol in 33 16V Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a problem. Sometimes smell of petrol appears inside my alfa Sad , especially when I drive and temperature outside is >20 C.
Ken McCarthy
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:12 am    Post subject: smell of petrol in 33 16V Reply with quote

There could be a number of reasons for this. Obviously one is a fuel leak and you would have to trace the fuel lines from the tank back to the pump under the left rear and forward to the distribution in the engine area. There is also a complex breather system which collects from the manifolds and other places using small diameter plastic pipes. It has a number of devices on that I don't understand fully but they seem to be there to condense fuel vapour and run it back to the tank.

If the smell is in the boot area, there is a vapour tank in the left rear mudguard accessed from inside. It has pipes running up from the tank and filler pipe and back again and includes a one way intake valve to prevent vacuum occurring. If any of these small pipes dislodge or break, or if the one way valve malfunctions, you could get fuel vapour in the car. Be careful, the plastic pipe and especially the connecting spigots get brittle with age and break easily.

If you can't find the problem take it to an Alfa mechanic. Don't take risks with fuel vapour.

Regards
ns_123

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: smell of petrol in 33 16V Reply with quote

Thanks for advise.
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some precautions you may consider taking:

Arrow Water you and your girlfriend down before each drive
Arrow Don a gasmask
Arrow Spray the interior enthusiastically with Mango cockpit spray
Arrow Try to act as if everything is normal
Arrow Sell your car

Wink

But on a more serious note, how long does a 33 fuel tank normally last? Is excessive surface rust on the top a bad sign? If these are serious problems we may also be joining the fuel-vapour club before we know it!
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Alfa tanks normally seem to rot through around the seems. However I did have one tank that I changed as it was leaking. Turned out the leak was from around the rubber seal for the fuel gauge sender unit on the top.

Last tank I changed was on a 75. I painted it with hammerite first and then undersealed the bottom of the tank

All the best

Keith
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum