Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Smoke from exhaust

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errol
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Smoke from exhaust Reply with quote

Hey everyone! ive noticed when i start my car in the morning ( its garaged , no sunlight at all ) it has little or no smoke, just condensation. But when i drive to school, car is about at 80c then i stays there all day and goes cold. When i start it up, it smokes really bad. Like when i touch the accelerator all i see behind me is smoke! why is it doing this? my car is running fine, and oil is fine. And why does it do this when its left at school all day , and no where else? very strange..any comments appreciated
Falken 195 low profile
K&N Pod filter
Cannon 2inch exhaust from cat-back with 3inch tip.
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you parked on a slope or something? A bit a smoke at start up is not a problem in this case, but should go away quickly.

How many Km's has the motor done?
Errol
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well slope as in the car is on a sideways slant and the gutter slopes down. Yeh it smokes a bit when i touch the accelerator...but when the car is fully warmed up, there isnt any smoke, so nothing really to be worried about i guess. Oh and the car has done ( well the engine ) has done about 110,000kms
Falken 195 low profile
K&N Pod filter
Cannon 2inch exhaust from cat-back with 3inch tip.
Chris Notsis
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: smoke Reply with quote

You mention the kms but not the actual model 33. It depends on the colour of this smoke, but I assume it's blue/black. It suggests that the valve stem seals (and possibly the guides) are a little worn although this can tend to be more of a problem after 170,000 kms. If this is the problem, it is possible that the car was not looked after very well in its earlier years, with possible irregular oil changes (but with poor quality oil). COnsider using a good quality crankcase cleaner and choosing a more viscous oil and possibly an engine oil leak additive to see if it can soften some seals and reduce the oil blow-off. You could even consider having the injectors ultrasonically and solvent cleaned.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the parking on a slant that does it (mine used to if I parked over the road from my house, steeper camber). The piston is being placed below the oil level so oil gets in through the exhaust(usually) valve stem, this is normal as long as it clears straight away. It's probably due to wear but not serious. You can replace the valve stem seals without removing the heads (it's a right chew getting the collets on though and probably not worth the bother if it doesn't smoke when parked level and passes emissions etc.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That last post was me (Gary UK) I don't seem to be being logged in automatically.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: