Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Broken engine mounting

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
micap
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Broken engine mounting Reply with quote

I suspect one of my engine mountings is broken, but exactly how can I tell? What should I look for? Is it the mounting itself or the rubber bushes? Also, my car seems to shake a bit when starting, causing me to rev my engine to about 2000 rpm when starting. Could this be because of a broken engine mounting?

Thanks in advance

ex 89 1.7 QV
now 85 1.5 QV with 1.7 engine.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The front engine mount can fail early on, but the rest are not too bad. Just look for one which is badly cracked or split

All the best

Keith
micap
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought, and the centre one seems to have alot of cracks. Could this relate to the shaking?

ex 89 1.7 QV
now 85 1.5 QV with 1.7 engine.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Message from Chris Notsis

There are two main points: top rear of engine to bottom of bulkhead, at the centre; and front of engine to front cross member. There is a stabiliser arm from the head to chassis rail. The top mount is a round bush through a steel eye held in a bracket and retained by a 19mm hex bolt. Check to see that this bracket is tight (VERY tight!) and that the bush is not sliding in the eye.

The front mount is a rubber rectangular block bonded to a steel bracket that bolts between the cross-member and engine. It can be hard to see but check to see that the rubber is not torn in two. One way is to jack up the engine from the sump (placing a block of wood between the sump and jcak. Jack up slowly to see if the rubber has split completely.

Check also for any cracks in the chassis rails.

Chris.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: