Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

my alfa
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burgo90
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: my alfa Reply with quote

click on my link to see me alfa
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhh mate, the link aint workin
ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks in need of a little tlc but certainly worth £50. Youd best not be planning to do to it what everyone else on that site does to their novas....
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you're absolutely right Chris. Don't spend any money on stuff you simply don't need. I seriously have to ask myself why people spend ever-increasing sums of money to make their cars look crap. Best to make the car mechanically excellent and just clean up the body (which already looks really good).

Drive an Alfa, not a Halfords hotrod!
Maximilian
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't passed your test yet, do you realise how much you'll have to pay for insurance with that car? If you're 18/19 you could be paying nearly 2 grand!

TO MODERATOR Keith: Would you consider a 'featured cars' section like the one in that Novaload website? That'll be really good I think.

Last edited by Maximilian on Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it looks good for £50, have you got your insurance quote yet. I had to pay £1300 back in `98 for a fully comp insured `91 16v. Still I was only about 22.

Lee
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, insurance in the UK costs a pile of pony's! I'm 20 and pay 80 euros every 2 months for my 33. Laughing

OK

Rolling Eyes

But I think that the 50 quid Alfa is great, and could make a truely fabulous rally car.

By the way I came across a '85 Alfa 33 Giardinetta 1.5 4x4 with 32.000 km on the clock! Yours for 3.500 euros!!!!!! Still a pretty cool car for the enthusiast; only one other driving round in Holland.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no not passed yet but wen i do me insurance will b 1200ish but wen the car only costs £50 it aint bad cos i could go and spend £500 on a diff car and still have to pay a grand so it works out cheaper with the alfa and no ive got a nova which im modifyin the alfa is gonna b standard apart from headunit and speakers and obviously the buckets aint standar but they came with it and im gonna tidy it all up maybe even a respray and me dad is paying for a home tune to get the engine runnnin sweet ive already done most of the work only big ish thing is replacing both the master and slave clutch cylinders instead of fafing about with repair kits then new tyres and back to the MOT station and hope it passes and the thing i love bout it most is wen i go to the pub with me m8s and we are sitting there talkin bout cars and there sayin bout there fiesta's and nova's i just come out with yeah but ive got an alfa i love it and i have fallen in love with the car kent wait to drive it
james
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that well worth £50.
Quote:

we are sitting there talkin bout cars and there sayin bout there fiesta's and nova's i just come out with yeah but ive got an alfa i love it and i have fallen in love with the car.

nicely put.

All my mate have got Ren 19 16V and BMW 328 and seat ibiza 18T i can blow them both away in my 145 QV but not the BMW but i try Very Happy

you will have a lot of fun in any afla.
[/quote]

I would have done but i could not see any nice ones, so on the end i went for a 145 QV. Very happy with it Very Happy

But still looking for a nice cheep 33 cloverleaf.
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance 'scams'

Get an insurance group 1 car and insure it (with 3rd party cover for other cars.)

Get your mum or dad to insure the alfa and then you can drive it with 3rd party cover (it will need to be registered in their name).
james
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea

Keep it in the family and gat a fiat panda Very Happy

But my insurance will not cover me on others car untill im 25 Sad im with elephant.co.uk and im 23 and my 145 QV cost £717 fully comp.

I would have done but i could not see any nice ones, so on the end i went for a 145 QV. Very happy with it Very Happy

ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hows the 145 working out for you? whats the interior quality like?
burgo90
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the whole reason that ive got the alfa is cos i dont like going slow i like to kno that if i want to i can put me foot down and not wait ten days to go ne where and all little cars like that are ugly and id rather just insure it in my name and build up me no claims hopefully
burgo90
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who was it that voted i was robbed just wondering y u think this do u think i could of got it cheaper
james
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisC wrote:
hows the 145 working out for you? whats the interior quality like?

Yeah its really good crack.

The car has done 96K miles and it look like new inside. The last owner was a ladie. and i think she was the only one ever in the car for the last 5 years, as the passenger front seat and window was a little stiff, but is now fine.

Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are you?? as you must be over 25 to get Insurance on a Group 13 car as a learner. My next door neighbour who is 20 paid £1800 on a Corsa Group 6.

And 13 years ago I paid £680 3rd party (40% no claims) on my first Sud 1.5ti (I was 21) and that is before Insurance Prices got silly (like tripled after accounting for Inflation).

Unless you have actually got a quote you might find you are uninsurable for a Group 13 car or your excess will be huge as well as the premium.

For thte sort of money you are talking to insure and run this £50 33 you could buy of a new Saxo VTR (you get two years free Insurance) and after the two years you would have paid 50% of the car off by which time your No Claims Bonus will be 40%. And no skinning your knuckes fixing the ever so relyable 33.

In my opinion you are a nutter, when I bough my first 1984 'A' reg Sud In 1990 (£800) it was the best I could afford and I earned £14K and a new car was no option then as finance deals were not available (20-28%APR)and the actual new prices were MUCH higher. With 14K these days you could buy a new 156 on finance.
burgo90
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well im 18 and i got the qoute from liverpool victoria get a quote on there site and check if u like and to buy a new saxo costs at least £5000 so wheres the sence in that that is surly gonna cost me more and i dont like saxo's there shite and for £50 u would b suprised how gd this car actually is its bin sittin in a garage for the past year and b4 that he looked after it really well so i guess i was just lucky to find a gd one and r u sure a 1.5 33 cloverleaf is group 13
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dur!!

You will be paying 1.5K insurance for 1 years with the 33 and let's face it u are soooo likely to crash it you have the excess on top.

Citroen and other companies pay your Insurance for a new car for 2 years free, work the maths out yourself!!

And I'm not being personal when I say you are likely to crash it I would have if I had learned to drive in, then used one. I nearly totaled my first car a Vauxhall Viva in the snow dropping down the box too quick (mind hadn't passed my test at that point, span down the middle of a street avoiding all parked cars and ended up sliding into a bus stop so no parked cars ). The 33 has far too much power and the ability to corner fast for a novice to use, it'll end in tears. Learn how to control a car before stepping into a flying machine like a 33. I'll put money on u getting tangled up in your ambitions. Just hope no one get's hurt.

btw ALL 33's are Group 13 1.5 - 1.7 16v though some companies will deduct 2-3 groups for 3rd party on cars over a certain age.
burgo90
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so say the insurnace was £1500 which its not then ove two years thats wot £3000 where as a saxo is gonna cost me at least £5000 if not more dur thee done the math and u go onto the liverpool victoria site and get a quote for an 18 male postcode nn9 5bh alfa 33 cloverleaf and see how much it is
burgo90
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah and praps i should add ive bin racing karts for four years so im not exactly a novice ok m8
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

The 33 was my first car and it isn't over-hot to handle. I reason that if people drive properly and don't go full-out all the time they won't have any problems whatsoever, even in a more powerful machine.

I've never had an accident, so I wouldn't jump to conclusions. That old Viva was also rwd, so a bit trickier in the snow than a fwd 33. Wink
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Statisitically you are wrong.

Fact - novice drivers can maybe handle a car fine but can't read/anticpate road conditions and hence crash lots. Add this to the fact that you will be travelling faster in a 33 (not a smooth car to pootle about in).

My first car that was fast was a Opel Manta 400i and yes it was fast in a straight line but shit round the twisties compared to a Sud or 33 but I'd been driving for two years b4 I got it.. B4 that a Viva and a Cavalier 1.6.

Why do you think that an Insurance company will charge 1.5K for insurance on a car with a maximum payout value of £300 coz it's going to be crashed a large percentage of the time.

Why are 33's group 13 two reasons expensive to repair and the fact that I recon 75 % of 33's I've ever seen have been damaged repaired and I'm sure that they all haven't been driven by novices.
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first car was a Viva...Oh what fun getting the tail out & steering with the gas pedal.
Shame RWD isnt done these days...you havent lived till youve experienced it...so much fun & not such hard work.
The other day I saw 2 lads racing each other up to a roundabout...one was in a lowered Clio (with pumpin sounds) and the other in what was obviously his dads Sierra (RWD)...and he gave it a great big boot full as he went round and as the tail stepped out he didnt know what to do...next thing you know he is up over the kirb with 2 flat tyres and a very red face...most amusing.
Just a thought...is it possible to disconnect the front drive on a p4 and have a RWD 33???
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When u slammed the door on your Viva did the speedo needle jump up to 100 (the only time it ever reached it).

Boy were they shit cars I had a disk shear off the hub on mine and eneded up in the middle of an A road, luckily nothing was coming.
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine had drums all round and no servo...stopping was always an adventure.
Yes the speedo did do that
They just dont make cars like that anymore.
I think they were safer too as modern cars with little wind noise and no vibration give you a false sense of security...with a viva you really knew when you were going fast...you were more aware of the limits (and you couldnt hear the eight track!!)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum