Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Let's play a game of "Guess what's wrong with the 33 to

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lxb
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Let's play a game of "Guess what's wrong with the 33 to Reply with quote

Let's start with.... water loss from water pump and corroded elbow behind bulkhead... then, how about BOTH WING MIRRORS and BOTH FOG LAMPS!! STILL!!!!... not forgetting that the engine mounts seem to be made out of PLAYDOUGH! Evil or Very Mad And then there's the leaking sunroof (HOW? How do they do it? Design a car that lets water in about 4" ahead of the sunroof, with NO CLUE why?), the recalcitrant gear linkage (probably related to the engine mounts), the WEIRD lumpy idling which then perfectly corrects itself then gets randomly lumpy again (lambda sensor? Injection? ECU? Vacuum hose? Oh, God)... and finally, onto the car's newest and most fashionable ailment the LEAKING ******G CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER IN THE TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE LOCATION!!!
I feel slightly better now I've got that off my chest. Back on the heart pills again.... sigh... Shocked
stedee
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh the fun of owning a 33!!!!!!!
john 33_16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's play a game of "Guess what's wrong with the 3 Reply with quote

lxb wrote:
Let's start with.... water loss from water pump and corroded elbow behind bulkhead... then, how about BOTH WING MIRRORS and BOTH FOG LAMPS!! STILL!!!!... not forgetting that the engine mounts seem to be made out of PLAYDOUGH! Evil or Very Mad And then there's the leaking sunroof (HOW? How do they do it? Design a car that lets water in about 4" ahead of the sunroof, with NO CLUE why?), the recalcitrant gear linkage (probably related to the engine mounts), the WEIRD lumpy idling which then perfectly corrects itself then gets randomly lumpy again (lambda sensor? Injection? ECU? Vacuum hose? Oh, God)... and finally, onto the car's newest and most fashionable ailment the LEAKING ******G CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER IN THE TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE LOCATION!!!
I feel slightly better now I've got that off my chest. Back on the heart pills again.... sigh... Shocked

Is that all? You've got a good one..He he Laughing

The slave isn't that bad, taking off the manifold helps, and investing in a good pair of hook nose pliers is worth it.
08 Fiat Grande Punto Exotica Red
90 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis- Silky white/red/blue
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slave cylinder can be real sod if you don't know what you're doing and really easy if you do. There's a post on here somewhere, which helps if you're on your own.
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a sunroof, and I used to get water dribbling in from around the digital clock. I worked out that got in via the radio aerial though, not the sunroof. It doesn't even need to get in between the roof and the base of the aerial either, thanks to the stupid design. It actually leaked around the central mounting bolt, which of course is the lowest point in a kind of water trough in the aerial base.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulhide wrote:
The slave cylinder can be real sod if you don't know what you're doing and really easy if you do. There's a post on here somewhere, which helps if you're on your own.

Mine on the 1.3 is being a pig. The slave cylinder is seized in place. Circlips is off and still no movement.

All the best

Keith
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not worried about the slave cylinder and are replacing it then there is just enough room to hold a small bar on the edge of the cylinder and tap it through the mounting ring with (the side of) a hammer, but be very careful you don't damage the engine-block mounting ring around the cylinder as it can chip off.
lxb
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Slave cyl Reply with quote

Thanks Paul, I might try it. I've seen a repair kit on Ebay, might give that a try. It's that or silicone sealant Wink I think the leaky roof must be a blocked drain pipe, so I'm going to try to push a fine bit of wire through it. Stay tuned for the next episode, "How to remove fine bits of wire from inside your A-pillar".
PS Does anyone have a spare slave cylinder floating around, juuuuuust in case? The car's off the road at the mo, so at least it's not urgent.
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One on ebay at the mo,? and some P4 springs (Keith?)
lxb
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Clutch slave cyl Reply with quote

Now I can't find it on Ebay!! It was there earlier! Out of curiosity, does anyone know if all 33 slave cylinders are the same? It sure looks like mine...

********Just checked again - turns out it ended at 9pm today, and went for £34. Not exactly a great bargain, but could have been useful. Oh well.
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, think they're all the same. Cost 20-30 quid new. Be wary of secondhand ones that have been lying around for a while without use. Please find my post on here somewhere, because it's really easy if you know how and a serious pig otherwise. The secret when replacing is keeping the circlip in the right place flat against the engine block mounting ring.
lee16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£34 Shocked plus postage on top.
Got mine for £20 from Mangoletsi so it was just as well you missed the end of the auction!!
Vecchio Alfisti
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two tips for the slave cyclider, hope I am not too late to be of help: 1. With all in place but with the circlip removed, use the residual hydraulic effort to press the clutch pedal down and with luck Smile Sad Surprised dislodge the frozen slave cylinder. 2: Get a decent pair of circlip pliers with right angle fingers to remove the circlip. Do not waste your time with inferior equipment. You will find it even more stressful than owning an Alfa 33! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum