Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

1991 16V Electric Window Probs

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam H
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: 1991 16V Electric Window Probs Reply with quote

I'm having probs with my electric windows - the passenger window rarely works, but when it does it only winds down, never up!

I've checked the switches and they seem to be OK, I know of no blown fuses and don't know what to do next - if I reverse the contacts on the reddish connector that supplies power to the door it will wind up, but with the reliability of the wind down!

Help! (1.7, 16v, 1991, LHD German car)

Adam H
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Sounds like a dodgy switch

All the best

Keit
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the wiring in the tunnel between the door and A pillar. It may have broken there making an intermittent contact.

My series 1 would only operate when the door was open till I fixed it.
Rob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably a combination of several factors.

The window winds down because gravity is helping it.

The window channels are probably somewhat filled up with dust, grime, etc after years of exposure to the elements. You can clean them up a bit by removing the inner door trim panel, then brushing inside the channels with a stiff brush. Spraying water on at the same time might help too. Then you can carefully lubricate the channels with some silicone spray.

The wiring in older cars tends to oxidise after some time and this increases resistance/decreases voltage. So you probably don't have 12V getting to the electric motor. Not much you can do here, other than rewiring that circuit (and using heavier gauge to avoid similar problems in the future!).

A very likely cause is that corrosion has built up in the spade connectors in the wiring circuit, inside the door panel. Again, it will be necessary to remove the door trim. You can clean up these connectors and spray a bit of WD40 on them, or you can replace them with insulated screw terminals that make better contact. It is worthwhile cleaning up these spade connectors every 2 years or so to maintain good electrical contact.

Check your fuses. The older torpedo type of fuse is well known for developing bad contact because of atmospheric corrosion over time. It is worth removing and cleaning all fuses every couple of years too.

Good luck, hope you find the problem.

Rob (Perth)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: