Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Damn those electric windows!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam H
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Damn those electric windows! Reply with quote

My electric passenger window is still a no-go - the wiring is knackered and my patience has gone!

My 33 is a series 3 - did series 2 or 1 33s have hand wound window regulators that I can fit to my S3? (Time to throw the motors away!)

Adam H

PS - does anyone know anyone that can do my 16v valve stem seals at a realistic price in the UK midlands or south?
turkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: electric window Reply with quote

Hey Adam-

My last car was a calibra which had electric windows that played up a lot (would work intermittently and then not at all for extended periods) - a guy (genius in my opinion!) gave me the info to rewire it. Basically it had a lot of fancy "auto stop" and "shut with door key" functions which he pretty much bypassed and it just meant if you pressed the buttons it went up and down accordingly. it took a bit of destruction of the circuit board and some soldering but damn it worked.

so if you are willing to give it a go i can post up the instructions and you can see how/if it relates to what you have in front of you - but basically he first said to check you're getting the signal through correctly from the switch, then check the motor/regulator works (apply power to it) - if that's all ok then it had to be on the circuit board- I'm assuming the alfa has one.

if you're only going to throw it away anyway it's probably worth a try.

Regards-
david
Allan (DK)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently had problems with the passenger side electric window in my 1990 33 16V. It turned out to be a problem with the wires from the door to the A-pillar. So by replacing that you can hopefully cure the problem...

Allan (DK)
1990 33 16V QV
1994 164 Q4
micap
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Allan, how much did you pay for that 164 Q4? I'm thinking about getting one some day, since they're really cheap in Germany.

ex 89 1.7 QV
now 85 1.5 QV with 1.7 engine.
dd (cloverleaf SW)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Diagnosis: Two Faulty Connections Reply with quote

Having fitted a full cloverleaf interior into the series3 Sportwagon
(thanks darren)
Passenger window refused to move drivers side ok
A little investigation showed
At base of door are two connectors
One: single redblack wire (causes window to go down)
Two: double blue-bluewhite wire connector (window to go up)
Much jiggling of these while switch pressed evetually caused window
to do both movements - seen same fault on 1.7IE
mechanic is building for sigother
Diagnosis: These two connectors may be your problem
Easy to check and fix...
- dd (Owner of cloverleaf sportwagon with P4 wheels)
pmcv
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Elec windows Reply with quote

Howdy all

I had similar problems with the passenger side of my series 2 wagon.

It ended up being the wires were frayed and broken just as they enter ther door.

There is a curved plastic "snorkel" that the wires go through in the door opening. When the door is fully open, the wires come through the snorkel and disappear into the door more or less straight. When the door is closed, the wires are bent over almost double around the end of the snorkel.

Enough opens and closes over the last 17 years, and the wires snapped.

I fixed mine by slightly shortening the snorkel with some wire cutters, so that the wires had somewhere to move when the door was closed, and rejoined and soldered the wires.

HTH

Paul
P4 Paul
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: valve stems Reply with quote

try these for valve stems http://www.alfashop.co.uk/
Allan (DK)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

micap wrote:
Hey Allan, how much did you pay for that 164 Q4? I'm thinking about getting one some day, since they're really cheap in Germany.

Hi Micap.

I recently moved from Denmark to Sweden, where cars are much cheaper! I have actually bought the car in Denmark (probably the only one registered from new in DK) and are exporting it to get a tax refund (possible in DK because of very high taxes on cars). I hope to have plates on it this week...

It's a 1994 with 250.000km on the clock, full service and it drives like a dream Smile Since I do a lot of motorway driving, it's a good compromise....a true sportslimo. I have had the aircon fixed and some dents and scratches repaired, so in total it should be around 30.000DKr (app. 4000euro). I also considered buying one in Germany, but got this at a good price (i think!).

If you look at www.mobile.de and www.autoscout24.com you'll find quite a lot Q4's for sale now. They are quite cheap to buy, since they can be expensive to maintain. Remember that they need a large service around 100.000 - 130.000km, so be careful! If you have more questions, let me know. I learn something every time I'm "investigating" the car. It's definitely a different drive than the 33, but both are good fun Smile

Allan (DK)
1990 33 16V QV
1994 164 Q4 (awaiting number plates...)
allan@bogh.dk
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: