Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

P4 advice please

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bw
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: P4 advice please Reply with quote

Hello,

I was on this forum a few weeks ago because I had been to look at a slightly rusting 1987 1.5 veloce for which I offered £200 but was 'gazumped' rather dubiously at the 11th hour.

Well, I'm back because my girlfriend has just bought a red '91 J plate 33 S 16v QV Permanent 4 (hope I described it correctly!)

We saw it at National Alfa Day at the weekend. It's had one owner for the last 11 years and has done 80,000 miles. It’s one that’s advertised in the AROC mag and she picked it up for £625.

Good points: there’s no rust or dents, and the few stone chips are a good sign I think for a 12 year old car. The Strut pan bearings have recently been replaced. There’s no synchro problem, unlike the previous 33 I looked at.

Bad points: guy said it needs a new handbrake cable (but I can’t see a problem with it in operation), the cam covers have a slight oil leak (which is supposedly alleviated by regular cleaning of the ‘breather’…can someone elighten me about this?) This means regular top-ups and oil in the engine bay stinking up the inside of the car when it gets warm L. Also the laquer has gone on the boot spoiler – any tips for how to revive it, or should I just re-spray?

Although it’s obviously a much noisier car than my 155 twinspark there are a couple of slightly worrying noises we noticed yesterday. Firstly, a strange sort of noise that sounds a bit like the interference you sometimes get on radios when a mobile phone rings – don’t know if that makes any sense!!!!!????? The other thing; is a certain amount of clunking and vibration normal when manouvering at low speed, e.g. on full lock? I’m hoping this is a non-serious side-effect of the permanent 4 wheel drive, but if it’s abnormal I better get it checked out!

Sorry for the lengthy post. Any advice gratefully received! I am not very mechanically minded unfortunately.

cheers

p.s. how much should I expect to pay for timing belt replacement – is there anything else that should be done at the same time?
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I saw that P4 and was tempted to further fill the drive. There was a mark on the passenger doo, the faded spoiler and the wear on the drivers seat.

The clonking at low speed is quite usual on a P4

The rocker cover gaskets are rubber. It is probably possible to replace them with the engine in place. The breather pipe attaches to where you top the oil up. Take it off and clean it out thoroughly

All the best

Keith
johne
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: P4 advice Reply with quote

Hello,
Perhaps the brake cables are rubbing somewhere and nearly cut through to the inner cable like mine were....if I remember correctly the point of contact is at the front end of the radius arm to the rear axle, the edge of the radius arm mounting bracket was cutting into the cable.
To clean out the breather, in addition to the hose that Keith mentioned, you might need to remove the pipe or cannister (for want of a better description) that you pour the oil into - it's held by a single screw in the centre of the cannister that you get at by removing the filler cap. You can then wash out the mesh within the cannister which could contain all sorts of horrible sludge.
As Keith said some vibration at full lock is normal, I guess it's just to do with each wheel trying to go round in in different radius circle.
Not sure about your other noise though - but I do sometimes notice a faint whistling interference on the radio, especially in tape mode, that disappears under braking. I've always assumed it's something to do with the 4wd being disconnected under braking (and a sign that the 4 wd is working!).
All the best,
Johne (1991 P4)
bw
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Is it worth worrying about getting the cam cover gaskets replaced then, or should I just keep the oil topped up and leave them alone for now?

To return to a previous question, do any of you have any timing belt advice? I want to get it (them?) replaced and was wondering how much I should expect to pay.

This car is amazing though! I can't believe how much noise it makes compared to the 155 Shocked and it feels quite a bit quicker, which I wasn't expecting.
P4 Paul
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: p4 prob's Reply with quote

I too had a weird noise from somewhere inside the car,sort of like a electrical morse code?,i have since had a new tooth mesh senser fitted and now its gone??so i presume it may be that?.
Also,due to the p4 having electro-magnetic drive system,you shouldn't put a tape deck in,as it will will pick up lots of noise from the drive.A cd is fine.
The best place i've found for parts are http://www.alfashop.co.uk/ or www.desirabury.co.uk.
Hope this helps. Laughing
bw
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the same noise, it usually happens when the car has just been started. Weird!

I think the current tape player has to go soon because it plays at the wrong speed anyway. Time for a nice CD player then Very Happy
P4 Paul
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Cd player Reply with quote

If you are looking for a cd/mp3 player?,i may be able to help you there,as i sell them online Laughing
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bw wrote:
Sounds like the same noise, it usually happens when the car has just been started. Weird!

I think the current tape player has to go soon because it plays at the wrong speed anyway. Time for a nice CD player then Very Happy

Problem with gaskets leaking oil could lead to much bigger problem, if that oil ignites, and if that happens there is very little chance that you'll be able to extinguish fire.

About that sound, it is possible that you'll still have it after installing CD if em coupling is interfering enough.

Tino
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum