Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Dead 33 16v :-(

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greencloverleaf
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Dead 33 16v :-( Reply with quote

I was 'making progress' down the M40 yesterday, when my 33 just died. She stuttered a bit, then died, and won't start up anymore.

I've tried a new dizzy cap and rotor arm, but still nothing.

The RAC patrol that picked me up reckoned I could have skipped a tooth on the timing - but this seems unlikely to me, given that there's 2 belts - both skipping at the same time sounds unlikely.

When I replaced the cap and rotor, I tried to fire her up, got a massive backfire and then nothing again. Like I was flooding the engine.

It seems I have sparks and I have fuel, so any ideas as to what this could be?

I'm desperate to get her back on the road, as we're down to one working car now Mad

Cheers,
Steve.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ketil-no
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead 33 16v :-( Reply with quote

There is a chance that you have snapped one of the camshaft belts. Have you checked that?

When you had the backfire you may have damaged the air-flow meter. I once broke the flap in the air-flow meter in a backfire....

Ketil
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: re : dead engine Reply with quote

hi

what do you mean, you have fuel? if you just checked the pump, that's not enough, i've already had the case of a faulty fuel pressure regulator causing the car to die : plenty of gas, but goes back to the tank...

regards,
zp
Yvon
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

In my research for my bad running 16V, I dismantle the heads of my first engine. The one that was backfiring. One camefollower is dead and cameshaft worn.

I'll try to retrieve a picture to show you. Hope this is not what your engine have but I'm a bit afraid when I see how it happens.

I'm now busy to rebuild the heads.

Ciao
Yvon
Yvon
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the picture :

That is the cylinder 4 last exhaust valve. Camefollower is so worn that he break and worn cameshaft too.

Ciao
Yvon
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvon, what were the rest of the cam lobes like on the other cam shafts as both lobes in the picture seem very worn. Do you know why this happened (blocked oil way?).
Yvon
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Gary,

Oil way was not blocked. As far as I know, camefollower start to wear with the lobe came. On another camefollower, I can see the surface is not plane but curved. I guess curve increase until thikness is so thin that it breaks.
As for the cameshaft, PO should ear something but continue to drive the car because I do not find anything in oil, in the head. I don't think the lobe break, just wear by the follower. Admission cameshaft is good and ont this one, the 2 other lobe (cyl 1) is ok too. I order a new one and I'll be able to compare lobes and also I'll replace ALL camefollowers.

I'll put the picture with the other camefollower and the full cameshaft this evening.

Ciao
Yvon
Yvon
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

Here are the pictures

This one show you both cameshaft. Admission is in front and worn lobe is behind on the right side

This picture show you how camefollower wear. Centre is curved by lobe movement until it breaks

And this is the broken one

Ciao
Yvon
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: