Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Just got a K&N Panel Filter

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errol
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Just got a K&N Panel Filter Reply with quote

Well i just put the new k&N panel filter in and just went for a drive. Maybe its my imagination but it seems like ive lost a bit of torque down low but im not certain on this. Maybe im just paranoid. Because it is a superior filter than the one i already in there and if anything its gonna go better.. but i notice the car breathes better...so it is probably going better and im just paranoid.. Laughing
Falken 195 low profile
K&N Pod filter
Cannon 2inch exhaust from cat-back with 3inch tip.
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably right as the lessened restriction will effect the engine characteristics. If it's an ECU car then it may be learning the new set-up or a carbed car might need a tweak. But increased high rev HP will lessen low end torque, life's a compromise.

Basically your car has been running with a set amount of 'suck'(induction) restiction and a set amount of 'blow'(exhaust) restriction. You have reduced the 'suck' resistance so this will have changed the HP & Torque curve.

I have always prefered the carbed 8v to the 16v due to the extra torque as though not as powerful at high revs the engine in my opinion is more user friendly (and fantastcally - nay - unbelievably robust, if I was ever going the turbo route it would be on an 8v'er, you need that torque till the turbo kicks in). Plus I recon the 16v'er is a bit 'fragile', a last ditch attempt to meet emission/power targets with a head redesign on a 25 year old engine.
Mixsynth
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can always boost low down torque with a supercharger rather than a turbo, so having the 16V would give you more room to expand overall. That was my view when planning what to do with my car. I have 137bhp stock now, as opposed to 118bhp before. That's a much better 'starting point' from which to carry out further modifications.
16V conversion pics/videos - now updated with extra pictures and explanations
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the sturdy design of the 8v heads would take the extra power better and the engine would last longer. That's just my opinion
Mixsynth
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do admit, the 8v heads are built like tank turrets. If you want to make sure the engine doesn't blow up then go that route. Doesn't bother me if my 16v blows up, after all, I've still got a spare 8v here! Cool
16V conversion pics/videos - now updated with extra pictures and explanations
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum