Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Alfa garage

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevnz
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:21 am    Post subject: Alfa garage Reply with quote

Hi
can anyone recomend an Alfa garage in Auckland NZ?
As I possibly need the valves adjusted and carbs balanced, I would like to attempt myself but you need special tools I think.
I think it could be down on power and the idle is rough
alexj
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't recommend a garage. What car do you have.... 33, sud, sprint? Does it have the "split" lobe camshafts and allen screw adjustment like most of the alfasud's (early 33's too I think?) or is it the shim type adjustment?

If it's the allen screw type, then you can do it yourself o.k. You need 2 feeler gauges and a soft metal tube (or similar) to lock the valve bucket in place. With a cold engine, remove the cam covers. You may need to syphon some excess oil from around the cam. Make sure your tools are clean - you don't want to get any grit on the cams.

With the cam lobe facing away from the bucket, feed your allen key (you may have to cut it down to fit) through the hole in the camshaft and lock the bucket in place with the soft tube located between adjacent buckets. Adjust the clearance with the allen key. Check with feeler gauges, repeat.....
kevnz
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, sorry for being vague, Its a 86 1.5 QV, I just bought it recently (cheaply) it's got high km's, apparenlty the engines been recond, the oil pressure seems ok, and it dosent smoke. Gearbox is noisy, usual 2nd gear problem...but I've got the Alfa bug now, and would like to fix this one up a bit.
Jas
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: tappets Reply with quote

i think the tappets are self adjusting on that model. don't quote me though.
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev,i sent you a long and involved message about your tappets and lost the link just as i sent it. However the gist of it is that your model has solid lifters with shim adjustment and you need a collection of shims of varying thickness to be able to reset. Fiat 124 shims will fit also. I have a friend who may be able to help . You can email me on willco7@hotmail.com for further info and i will give you my phone no as i live in auckland as well.
Regards Eddie
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum