Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

flat spots

View previous topic :: View next topic  
messybloke
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: flat spots Reply with quote

Having got the 1.7ie back on the road i am suffering from part throttle flat spots. The car feels like it is holding back some times and sometimes it feels ok. Once up to speed, say 50-90 it dives ok, but if you try to speed up sometimes it feels reluctant. It starts first time and idles fine.
Its been off the road for over a year, but i have fitted new plugs,air filter, oil, cam belts, water pump, rad etc, so i wondered if anyone has any idears? Confused

Also has anyone experienced a clutch slave cylinder holding the clutch off, slow ingagement, but improving over miles Rolling Eyes

Ontop of that after a spirited Twisted Evil drive the brakes smoke and fade a bit , what pads work well on the road?

and whilst im here what about a rev counter that shows about 50% of the RPM?
Dr A. 33 1.5IE
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friend,

Regarding the rev meter I experienced the same problem when I first bought the car 4 years ago. The cure I found was that by removing the rev counter from the instrument cluster, behind the 6 o'clock position (under the rev counter) there is a round disk with a needle like part (alike the old vinyl disk players) that probably it works as a calibrating disk for the rev meter. Slight pressure of that needle onto the disk fixed the problem. Also by rotating the disk slightly clockwise or anti-clockwise you can change the rev settings especially when in idle. So by assuming that your engine's idle setting is correct at 900 rpm you can correct you rev meter showing 900rpm by hand.

Good luck!!!
lee16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your flat spots may be due to the throttles being unbalanced. If one throttle is opening before the other then this can cause the engine to bog down and give you the reluctance to get moving off the line. When the throttles are open ie, at speed then it's not noticable.
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take off inlet manifold and place a loose coiled piece of paper on a butterfly on each side. Mark a line on the paper at the throttle body rim (or the rubber holder bit). Then push the accelerator a bit. The coiled bits of paper should move up with the butterflies and stay where they are. Mark the paper where it meets the throttle body rim again and measure the gap on each piece of paper so you can see if one side is moving more than the other. At the very least you can see if the paper coil on one side moves before the other side.
messybloke
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chaps
Unfortionatly i forgot to tell you its an 1.7 ie, but the good news is that the trouble was the good old Lambda sensor. Found by an ex dealer chap in Braintree, cost £100 mind you.All the other problems persist but Im off round Europe in it next week so wish me luck.
Thanks again, maybe we can meet up some time when/if we get back!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: