Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

'93 electric window problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeremyC
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: '93 electric window problem Reply with quote

The motor operates but the window goes nowhere.

Is this likely to be a pinion slippping on a motor shaft or maybe a broken cable?

Your thoughts appreciated.
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a broken cable. If you can't fix it I have a spare you can have for 15 quid + postage.
JeremyC
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the double post folks.

Is a cable change easy? It's a nightmare on my Fiat Dino (sadly languishing in a pig shed at the moment!).

Thanks for the offer Paul, I'll keep it in mind.
JeremyC
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the card off and at least managed to get the window fully closed (a good idea with the weather the way it is).

The cable is not obviously broken but when you operate the switch there is the sound of cable ends scraping against metal from the motor area.

Can anyone direct me to a good description of the general operation of this sort of system.

Thanks.
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the problem's inside the motor unit I'd just go straight for a replacement. Beware there are several different designs, and don't separate the motors from the vertical window track thingies that their cables operate. It is possible to remove the lot, pulleys, motor etc from the door as one unit and that makes sure the cable doesn't come off inside the motor unit and get tangled.

I had a window stop working because one of the teeth broke off the big cog inside - every time this missing tooth section would reach the drive gear on the motor shaft, the window would stop and make grinding noises and require manual assistance. I opened the motor unit to find out what the problem was, but the unit isn't designed to be opened. Not only could I not fix it, I couldn't put it back together. Wink
JeremyC
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how do you remove the mechanism? Or is the pdf manual that's floating around the web good on this?

Ta.

J.
john 33_16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeremyC wrote:
So, how do you remove the mechanism? Or is the pdf manual that's floating around the web good on this?

Ta.

J.

Hi,

Quite straightforward.

Remove the door trim panel, then remove the nuts securing the motor and mechanism assembly. There are 2 or three facing you and one nut on the bottom of the door by the sill.

The window glass is held in place with 2 more nuts on a pinch type bracket. You may have to lower the window fisrt to get to these nuts, and to be able to pull the glass out of the door.

Hope that helps

John
08 Fiat Grande Punto Exotica Red
90 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis- Silky white/red/blue
JeremyC
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you remove the class.

Then you undo the four bolts.

Does the whole mechanism really come out in one piece? Through the slots at the top (surely not wide enough for the motor) or one of the door cutouts (surely not big enough for the mechanism as a whole)?

I want to believe!
john 33_16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The whole thing wriggles out of a hole in the door.

I think you'll have to lower the window in order to undo it's clamp.

The only rigid part is the runner that the clamp moves up and down on, the motor 'floats' at the end of 2 flexible cable lengths, so it can be kinda folded up to remove/ install if that makes sense.

I'd say getting the door trim back on properly is the hardest bit of ther job- remove the mirror knob trim Wink

John
08 Fiat Grande Punto Exotica Red
90 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis- Silky white/red/blue
JeremyC
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, done that door cards thing, got it down to about five minutes.

The door handles on our old 33 used to regulalry unclip from the latch mechanism so I was always in there.

Many thanks for the gen, most useful and confidence inspiring.
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to open the motor unit. The cables got tangled up inside one of mine when they became slack due to the horrible plastic window support breaking.

The support broke because the window channel was slightly distorted, making the felt insert too tight.

I drilled out the rivets holding the cover on the motor unit, rewound the cables onto their grooves on the drum inside, and replaced the rivets with nuts and bolts. The cables need to be kept under slight tension to prevent them springing out of the grooves once the cover is replaced, or they won't be long enough to fit back to the lifting mechanism.

After replacing the broken plastic bit with one from the (now spare) car, I reconnected the lower cable, then, with wife keeping tension on the upper cable, blocked the bottom of the window and used the motor carefully to compress the small spring below the cable connection to give enough slack to attach the upper one.
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now the other electric window mechanism in the same car has also broken, with the same problem - missing tooth on a gear. If I lower the window enough that the affected part of the gear is reached, the window becomes stranded and I hear grinding noises. Evil or Very Mad
I wandered through a wreckers today (where there was a 33 which had already had the passengers electric window mechanism removed) and came to the conclusion that every door on every car has a different electric window system. Adapting something reliable from a Japanese car would not be easy.
What have you lot done each time your s2 electric windows break in this way?

-Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: