Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

battery drain cut off switch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: battery drain cut off switch Reply with quote

hey guys, following from my "new battery" question, i was thinking of using my spare rear demister switch to cut the power to my radio and hands free kit, so i can still have them on with the ignition off.
Does anyone know what connectors do what? i could piggy back them off the original rear demister switch and get the power from the cigarette lighter.
Will this be ok as i think normally the switches don't carry the voltage they just power a relay that then powers the ancillaries??
What do you think
Greek
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just any 12 volt switch will do. But keep in mind that if you cut the power of te radio you will lose all settings and preset memories and this will happen everytime.

Have you measured the circuit when engine is not working to see if you have any load? (indication of bar ground or corrode wiring..)
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey greek,
Quote:
Have you measured the circuit when engine is not working to see if you have any load? (indication of bar ground or corrode wiring..)

yer, check out my other post
Laughing
I didn't check if the battery backup on the radio was pulling much drain as i accidently blew up my DMM when i checked for voltage whilst still on the current setting and its not fused, doh!
I normally only listen to CD anyway and have been removing the fuse when the car is left.
I was just going to use a double poll double throw switch but thought that would look ugly and my spare switch will fit just right as there is a spare slot next to the original rear window demister. I wasn't sure how to go about wiring it up though.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It would be easy to hide a switch down by your calf.

All the best

Keith
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok keith and greek
you twisted my arm, i'll just add a normal switch Laughing
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al,

Most stereos have "dual feed" power supplies. One that is "live all the time" (to keep the clock and settings going), and one that switches on/off with the ignition to actually make the stereo "work".

So, you could just remove the switched supply and wire it into the "live all the time" one. You could then turn it on no matter whether the ignition was on or not (but remember to turn it off when you leave the car!)

If you *did* want the ability to switch it off completely then you should wire them both to the "live all the time" via your switch. Are you saying your battery can't stand the drain of keeping the clock going on your stereo? Laughing

Bob Cool
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey bobbber,

both battery backup and power to the radio are wired up to a constant always on live feed. i haven't had a chance to investigate what is causing the drain, DMM dead and assume it is the radio, if it is the radio then i will put a switch in for it.

With the drain of about 0.4A, i didn't test with the alarm on btw, after 5 days of no use the battery was dead, only when it got cold though.

Since then i have removed the drain from the hands free kit, the alarm, the stereo, by removing 2 fuses but it could be anything
3rd fuse down right column
horn, lighter, radio, brake light, fuse box lighting

top right fuse
clock, roof lights, fuse box lighting, central locking

After 5 days the battery looked good.
The clock on my stereo must be one juicy sucker Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum