Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Fuel pump?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr A. 33 1.5IE
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Fuel pump? Reply with quote

Dear all,

My car (1.5ie) has been sitting at the mech's garage for three weeks now. In other articles in this forum, I had produced the problems occured to it over a period of two months now.

The problem is thought to be of an electronic nature but what? As i mentioned before then, the car after a thermostat (that stuck open) and a new lambda changes developed a hesitation to pull at low to mid range revs with a few stutters from time to time.

Later on the car run just on two cylinders, just to find out that the ignition coil was to blame. Still the car does not run smoothly. The car has its injectors cleaned and although it just came out a big service i replaced the sparks although the old ones had worked for 300 kms only.

Today i paid another visit to my friend (the mechanic!) and during chatting with him i asked him to locate the fuel pump relays. After removing the cover I have noticed 3 fuses and two relays a silver Bosch one and a yellow one. I removed and sprayed a bit of contact spray. When the car started again clicking noises came from the yellow relay.... replacing it with another from a proper running car did not alter anything ... clicking sounds and heavy cuts of the car's idle continued especially when I was wiggling them a bit.

I have tried a lot of things and paid even more but I cannot afford to buy another car at the moment (I am on a mortgage for the house and I also have an 11month old son). Could the fuel pump be at fault or the wiring running through these relays? What can I do?

Please enlighten me as I am using my mother's in law Carina for the past month...please help me!!!

Chears everyone
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if the 1.5 ie runs in the same way as a 16v and if what I say has no relevance, I apologise in advance.

The clicking could be due to the fuel pump and injector relay cutting out. This could be caused by the CAS (crank angular sensor) not giving out a constant output.
The CAS tells the ecu to fire the injectors, arm the fuel pump and fire the spark, no CAS no spark, so no fuel and no injectors.

I would be inclined to check the CAS.

I hope that is of some help and if I am incorrect for the 1.5ie hopefully someone will correct me and steer you right.

Good luck.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

That it caused issues when you wobbled the relay suggests that the relay holder might damaged. They are just some female spade connectors in a piece of plastic, and can need cleaning (or can melt if they get too hot).

All the best

Keith
JeremyC
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the car with a known good battery, it may be as simple as battery voltage.
Dr A. 33 1.5IE
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Al you are not wrong! Indeed 1.5ie has a CAS that is under investigation at the moment.

The only question I have is that a faulty CAS means no zero point readings of the crank, so that a non-starting car. Could they be faulty but the car could run somehow?

Chears
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: