Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

spark plugs sooting up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
knighty
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: spark plugs sooting up Reply with quote

I have a 1.7 8v hydraulic boxer in my buggy, and the spark plugs keep sooting up causing a bad misfire and running on 3 cylinders....... I'm running NGK B9ES plugs......I was thinking they are perhaps a too cold plug......so from my old 1.5 sud engine I have some NGK BP8ES plugs which have a 2mm longer nose that the plugs fitted to my 1.7, which would imply they are a hotter plug and will be better at burning off the soot and preventing the misfire........any thoughts anyone?........will the extra 2mm length clash with the piston????

failing that I'm thinking my dellorto 40 carbs are out of tune and running too rich, I have just replaced the float needle valves on both and I'm unsure its fixed the rich issue, but it does seem to idle better and the old items I removed actually looked quite good considering 90,000 miles service! ....... before I phone the mobile tuning dude and have the jet screws twiddled with, are there any othe carb parts that are prone to wearing out and causing a rich mixture and sooty spark plugs????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum