Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Suspension / Shock Absorbers

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biscione

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Suspension / Shock Absorbers Reply with quote

Ciao Alfisti!

The shocks of my Alfa (33, 1991) are worn. I want to replace them, but which ones should i buy?
I heard the Konis are the best for the car, but i don´t know if i should get the red or the yellow ones. My Car is not lowered, and i dont want to. I´m not a suspension expert, but could this be bad for the handling if i would use the stiffer Shock Absorbers (-Koni yellow) with the original springs????
Are the yellow ones only for a lowered car or are they built for the original springs? I only want a better handling, the comfort doesn´t matter. Could somebody please give me a advice........
alfafan
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can use Yellow Koni´s with standard springs.
They are te best for the 33.
The handling will be mutch better...

Regards

Carlos Oliveira
davidaron
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Re : shocks Reply with quote

Dear biscione,

I got Gabriels, and their much better than the OEM's my last 33 came with. I recon they don't cost as much as konis if you can get them. Have also tried Sachs, which are not as stiff as the Gabs

- Hope this helps
- Dave (DK)
Sergio
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got some Monroe Reflex (totally gas charged) And I'm pretty pleased with them Smile Handling is superb, and it even got a bit more comfortable...
And yes they are loads cheaper than the Konis...

All the best

Sérgio
Biscione

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for your recommendations.

I am a little bit confused. I have read the suspension overview (suspension tuning guide) on this side:

"The most common and understandable mistake for beginners to make with modifying suspension is to fit overly hard shockers. This gives the effect of the car bouncing along the road on its shocks. That is the worst of both worlds - bad handling and bad comfort. Full efficiency means the car has to ride on its springs which must work with suitable damping from the shocks. A car with a suspension movement which works for the application has better ride and handling than a car with rock hard suspension."

My English is very bad, but i understand that you shouldn´t use too hard shocks (=Koni yellow)....?????

I must think about it. I think i will buy the Koni red, but i dont really know... I dont want that the handling is badder then original.
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had lowered(35mm) OMP springs on my old 33 and they were hard but progressive - big holes and it would bounce but hey it wasn't an off roader. The first two inches of travel were soft then very very hard. BUT lower your 33 and it will eat front tyres with original unadjustable wishbones.

To be honest the front sachs/boge struts are what I'd put on new if I had the money and konis at the back. And only lower it if you want pure cornering ability you lose the 'every day car' useability/comfort if you do (or fit a sump guard for the speed bumps).
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have Yellow Koni's and Eibach springs on my 16V. They work a treat.

Hard shocks are not the way to go, but neither are really soft ones. A balance is what is needed. Something that will handle the bumps but also goes around corners.
ak863

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have to replace the driver suspension.
Is it possible to replace the only the 2 front ones? or must i do the back ones as well.
The car is a series 3 1.7IE and the suspension-springs are the normal ones..
What's the price for yellow konis? they quoted me 120 for each!
Any other suggestions that i could choose? Saachs?

thanks![/i]
John Hansen
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Shockers Reply with quote

Hi,
Probably will only add to the confusion, but I had to replace my rear shockers and ende up with Boge for AUS $ 80 each. The recommendation from the supplier was that unless you're doing track work, the Boges are fine. I must agree that they suit my style of driving and I believe that they're cheaper than Konis. If you're in Australia, I would recommend Turin Imports for bits and pieces.

Regards,

John H
Adrian (melb)
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally had the oem's but they were leaking fluid and didnt work!!! Replaced them with koni reds and standard springs, good handling but not super, i then decided to lower the car with 20m lower custom springs that were 50% stiffer at the front and 80% at the back. I got this done at beninca in melbourne, Who managed to alter the settings so the car now sits 10cm from the ground. Any way the reds knackerd themselves in a short period (eg the time it took me to descide to change the springs) so i got them changed to yellows. Final verdict, very good handling not as good as my brothers 206gti but close, very uncomfortable on bumpy city streets (brunswick), amazing handling on new suburban streets.
The best modification done to my car or the most noticable.

Adrian (melb)
85QO (transplanted rebuilt 1.7ti)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: