Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Vapour Separator Removal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Vapour Separator Removal Reply with quote

Can anyone please tell me how to remove the oil vapour separator (at the top of the oil filler neck)?

This is on the Trofeo, but it looks the same as the 1.7ie.

EDIT. It's not the same as the 1.7ie, there is no screw down inside the filler.

It looks as if it is pushed into an orange coloured rubber seat, but it doesn't move easily, and I hesitate to force it until I know what's holding it.
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it! Press it down slightly, then a quarter turn anticlockwise and it pulls out. It must have been stuck on the "O"-ring seal.
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
eagle3
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's like a lightbulb bayonnet fitting. It took me a while to suss it out as well.. Smile
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I look at the screw holding the vapour separator on the 1.7 engine, I wonder if anyone has ever had this come loose and fall into the crankcase?

I'm not sure where it would end up, as I haven't had that bit of the engine apart.

My boat engine (Perkins) had a similar arrangement holding the air filter/spark arrestor inside the air intake. A couple of years ago the screw came off and went down the intake. I stopped the engine pdq when I heard the rattle, so avoided catastrophic damage. I managed to clean up the damage to the piston crown, but had to replace 2 bent valves.

I replaced the filter with an external "pancake" type one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: