Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

hole truth

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
me96jvb
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: hole truth Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the function is of the 3mm dia drillings that can be seen in each of the 'manifold' castings that bolt on top of the carbs on a 1.7 8v Cloverleaf.

Each drilling starts at the face of the casting where it attaches to the (rectangular) airbox and exits inside the runner, halfway down. There are 4 holes in total - one per runner (ie 2 per casting).

I can't think what function they possibly perform! Anyone know?

JB
(Alfa 33 1.7 8v - engine in bits!)

[/img]
lesthegringo
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: I think I know...... Reply with quote

I think that the holes are there to allow the carburettor float chamber to 'see' the same atmospheric pressure as the carb chokes.

If the filter was blocked, or restrictive, then there would be lower pressure in the intake system above the throttle butterfly, and if the float chamber was at the higher ambient pressure, it would push fuel through the drillings in the carb to the choke, rather that the air rushing past sucking it - it would make the mixture richer than necessary. It could also result in the fuel level in the float chamber being wrong, so the emulsion tube would not work how it was supposed to.

Just some thoughts.... I may be wrong though!

Les
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum