Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

16v timing please

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: 16v timing please Reply with quote

Hi chap's
does anyone know the right way to time up the 16v? .are the left and right bank's 180 degreas or do you time them up with the same marking's,the passenger side is already timed up,i just need to know for the driver's side as im replacing that head.can anyone help please.cheer's john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
andrew
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of doing my belts now and from what I understand you put number 1 cylinder at TDC marked by the "T" on the flywheel. The top camshaft should have 2 marks at 6 o'clock and the bottom camshaft will have 1 mark at 12 o'clock. Line it up so that the bottom camshafts "1 mark" is between the top camshafts "2 marks".
Give me a few days and I'll know for sure, I'll post some pics too.
Yvon
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To complete Andrew's explanation, leave tensioner as it is and turn anti-clockwise until triangles on pulleys are aligned. THEN release tensioner by unscrewing the nut and screw it again in this new position. Continue to turn engine anti-clockwise to check if the "bottom one mark" is aligned between the "upper 2 marks". If they are not, reprocess everything until you get marks PERFECTLY aligned.

It is very important to place both pulleys aligned with triangles and NOT the "one" and two marks" to release the tensioner. They can't be aligned together left and right side. you have to turn the engine to align one side and turn again to align the other side. They will not be aligned with T mark on flywheel, instead a V mark will appear on the flywheel. Once again do not try to align with triangle. Always use the 1 and 2 marks.

If both banks should be done, it's best to start with left (real when sit in the car) than right.

Ciao
Yvon Duvivier
www.duvy.org
graeme
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Timing Reply with quote

All I can tell you is I followed the procedure here

www.alfisti.co.uk/16v_boxer_belts.htm

After totally rebuilding the engine it started first time with no knocking.

I don't understand the point about aligning the >< and V to release the tensioner. Can you explain?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: