Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Camber

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SurlyRich

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Camber Reply with quote

Hi all,

I purchased my P4 about 10 months ago which had allready been lowered significantly in the front. I noticed some minor problems with camber, but this has been getting worse (car tracks into groves on the road). As the camber can not be adjusted, and there are no camber kits available that I am aware of, what do people suggest? I have been thinking of raising the height in the front as whilst the handling seems good, I just dont think that the car is suited to Australian roads at its current height. Would raising the height improve the camber? Are there any other alternatives?

Cheers
JamesD
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Camber Reply with quote

Hi There,
My P4 had very short front suspension when I bought it (3yr ago) - it seems the standard setup is about 30 mm lower than normal cars. This will give more camber than usual! You're right about it not suiting OZ roads, mine used to bottom regularly and the front end had witness marks from the road. I changed the front springs for ones removed from a series 1 car (up to 1986?) and this lifted the ride height 25mm, and made the front end much better. The older cars had larger diameter wire in the springs than my original P4 springs.

Where in OZ are you?

Cheers,
James (Brisbane)
33S16VP4
SurlyRich

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Camber Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply James,

I live in Sydney. Did the other springs improve camber much? Also, do the older springs fit normally, or is there some adjustments that need to be made? I was thinking of fitting some Eibach springs. Has anyone had any experience with these?

Cheers
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may have the original springs; the 16V's in OZ do sit low at the front.

I fitted the Eibach’s to my 16V, they were the same ride height as what came off, but are progressively rated springs so go over bumps better and around corners better. Also fitted Yellow Koni's at the same time.

If you are going to do springs worth checking the condition of the strut top mounts, the strut pan bearings and anything else that moves or is rubber or plastic.
JamesD
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Camber Reply with quote

The older springs fitted with no modifications, but as Scott says do check the strut mounts and bearings when you have it apart. I didn't notice any change in camber, but there was a huge difference in how the car rides. The front end became more supple and no longer crashed into potholes and hollows! My reason for changing the springs was to lift the ride height, I have always accepted the -ve camber would result in uneven tyre wear. I monitor the wear and rotate tyres as needed. (every 33 and sprint I have owned has suffered this......4 of them. No I've stopped taking the medication just accept Alfa's are in the blood)

Cheers
James.
SurlyRich

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Camber Reply with quote

I spoke to Pedder's today and they are pricing me the Eibach springs and Koni Yellow inserts. I guess we will wait and see if the car was lowered past its original hieght when we get it apart. Hopefully this will fix the camber somewhat as whilst the car does bottom out a little, my primary concern is more about the car tracking into grooves in the road which is a real pain in the ass. Thanks for the suggestion regarding strut mounts and pan bearings, I will have a look. I changed the front bushings about 3 months ago so they should be sweet. Any other suggestions as to how to correct the tracking into grooves bisso? Also Scott, how do you have the koni's set?

Cheers.
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Have a look at whiteline.com.au for the Koni's and give Heasman shocks a ring for the eibach springs. There were the cheapest places I found for the parts.

Strut tops and bearing I got from Turin imports in Adelaide or give Tony a ring at Formula 1 in Leichardt.

The koni's are currently set at 1/3 turn from soft. Have thought about making them stiffer though.
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try increasing the front tyre pressures this may help with the tracking
SurlyRich

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Camber Reply with quote

Many thanks Scott. I will try the other places you suggested. I find F1 a bit pricy though. Alfabits at Padstow or European Auto at Villawood I find to be a little cheaper. The guys at F1 are very helpful though. Where abouts in Syd are you?

Another question Scott. Are you running a EMS on your 33?

What do you suggest with tyre pressure front/rear in psi Gary? I currently have then set at 32 front and 30 rear. I am not sure if this makes a differnce, but recently put P6000's on the front as well.

Cheers once again.
SurlyRich

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:12 am    Post subject: Springs Reply with quote

Scott,

I rang Heasman today regarding the eibach springs, and they said they have no listing for the P4, only the front wheel drive. My question is, are they the same?

Cheers
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Running the standard motronic ECU with different firmware Twisted Evil

The springs are different at the rear between the 16V and the P4, the top mounting hardware is the same, so the diameter at which the spring is wound should be the same. The difference is most likely in the length of the springs. The problem may be not enough travel if you used the springs for a 16V.

Also if you lower the height of the rear you will need to adjust the proportioning valve, otherwise you will get too much rear brake.

You could always get some springs custom made.
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
Are you on standard wheels and tyres? Lower profile tyres and wheels that have a lower et, that is they sit further out in the wheel arch,can effect tracking. Also toe out is important. When you change the ride height make sure this is reset. Any slack in steering linkage will also contribute.
Eddie Cool
SurlyRich

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Camber Reply with quote

OK. So if I just get the front eibach springs for the 16V they should fit just fine? Also, when I rang Whiteline regarding the Koni inserts, they said that the yellow Koni's are only adjustable by turning the insert (not a knob at the top) Does this sound right?

How did you change the firmware on the Motronic Scott?

I am running 205/50's on 15" rims. I am not sure what they should originally have as this is the profile of tyre it had when I bought the car. The rims are also not original, they are speedline rims. Also, my steering does feel fairly loose, could this be slack in the steering linkage?

I really appreciate all the feedback guys.

Cheers
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If you are only going to fit the springs to the front then it is not worth buying the Eibach kit. Get a place to quote about custom made springs, maybe give King springs or some other spring place a call. King springs are well known, but I have not used the product so can't comment on how they are.

The Koni's require removal from the car to be adjusted. The Koni's for our car do not come with the adjustment knob that some other Koni's have.

I bought a chip and fitted it.

You will find that a 195/50/15 is a close match to the standard size of 185/60/14.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: