Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

clarification

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panama

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject: clarification Reply with quote

Hi guys,

i am new to this site. i am a Alfa owner, i have a AR 155 with a damaged engine, the cost to repair it is too high, and i now have a oportunity to buy a AR 33 1984. Now to my question.

The guy who ownes it lives like 6 hours from me, so i havent seen the car yet, he says its a 1800 cc engine with dual carbs. I have been all over the web, and looked at the technical pages for AR 33, and i can not find a 33 model from 1984 with a 1800cc engine, and carbs. Was there one made? Could it be a mod he has done, is it reliable do you think?? or is he just BS me? How by looking at the engine can i tell what CC it is.

The car is being sold for US$750, which is ok.

thanks a lot.
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. others could correct me on this but the earliest I am aware of the 1700 engine (not 1800) in a 33 was 1987. An '84 would be the earliest year for a 33 and would have a 1500cc engine as standard if with twin carbs. The 1500 engine of that era would have bolt off tappet covers whereas the 1700 (if fitted later) has hydraulic lifters and all in one tappet covers that the head bolts go through. The 1500 has 36mm carbs and the 1700 has 40mm carbs. This can be measured with the air filter removed and is the dimension of the throat of the carb. The 1700 gearbox that matches the motor also has a higher final drive ratio. Hope this helps.
Regards Eddie
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Probably the car is a modified one and the engine an overbored one.
1984 was the year that the s1 33 was introduced at 1200, 1300 and 1500cc (twin carbs).

These early engines as Eddie said have to be adjusted in terms of valve clearance mainly during summer and winter.

Personally I wouldnt pay attention on such cars since these mods lose the cars originallity and probably such mods are likely to cause problems in the long run.

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum