Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Engine squeek

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
graeme
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Engine squeek Reply with quote

I have a squeek from the front of my engine which appears to come from one/both cam belts, which are new. I get one squeek per rev of the cam belt. It only happens when the engine is fully warmed up. It's not the alternator/water pump/ps pump as I removed the drive belts to check.

Anybody any ideas?

The right hand(viewed from in car) belt overlaps the idler/tensioner by about 1mm. Is this normal?
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The squeak doesn't sound usual. I think you are saying that the edge 1mm of belt on one side hangs off the tensioner. Not had this. I would check the condition of the tensioner bearings (they fail on the 16V, but normally seem reliable on the 8V engine).

All the best

Keith
graemeroberts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: cam belts Reply with quote

The tensioners and idlers are new.

The belt is flush on the cam sprockets, but overhangs on both tensioner and idler. Does this suggest the belt is being thrown out by the crank pulley. Could I have assembled the two pulleys and flanges on the crank in the wrong sequence? The left belt (nearest the block) is fine.
andrew
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can gather the belt should run flush against the lip of the tensioners. This would put it about 2-3 mm from the edge of the cam sprokets. I noticed while timing mine, when you turn it over by hand the belt has a tendecy to move away from the tensioners. You need to turn the engine over by hand and push it hard against the tensioners as you go.
Edit a pic speaks a thousand words (188Kb) http://home.iprimus.com.au/atomlins/beltchange/DSC00157.JPG
nickus?
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that same problem,it turned out I had left a washer behind the tensioner Embarassed
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: