Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

rolling road

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jobrien389
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: rolling road Reply with quote

I've been reading the not so technical pages on alfa-pages. what a wealth of information! printed it off for bedtime reading. and was up untill 2:30am this morning.

I was thinking of getting some aftermarket airfilters for my 8valve 1.7.. but now I concider a tuning on rolling road to be a better investment to get a much smoother power and better at low revs.
my car is running far too rich (excessive popping and fuel consumption) and floats wotsit in carbs need sorting out it is reckoned

what kind of money should be charged for a garage ( in the uk ) to tune my car on rolling road. and what do they do?
any advice.

many thanks
jobrien389
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: Hmmm? Reply with quote

after finding out about rolling road I have
decided not to to get my car tuned on rolling road
as my car probs would not like engine thrashed
in an garage. my engine would probs die from heat exhaustion.

am going to call out propper electronico gizmo engine tuning man
(or woman, but probs a man) to tune my car at home

but first i better replace HT bits like i said i would. then should run propper

Wanna get a well wicked bad-boy headlamp visor and
massive beano rear wing... should give me 400bhp. Razz
oh yea..wicked wicked...Hmm NOT! paint my rear drum brakes bright red ...another 10hp!
fit halfords 3 spoke alloys..another wot..er 20hp at least
lower it 50mm.... top speed now at least 140mph
This is the XR3i section
aint it??

Oh Embarassed
Matt Stolton
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Rolling Road is the only way... Reply with quote

I understand your concerns about the stress a rolling road session puts on your car/engine, but as long as your car is fully serviced (i.e. new oil/filter, coolants, belts and tensioners, etc) and in reasonable knick (i.e. no blown headgasket, no blue smoke from the exhaust) it will be fine.

The boxer is a wonderfully robust engine, even standard. It is inherently balanced, unlike an inline 4 engine, and has a 3 bearing crank, like bikes have, to help it spin more easily. The length of the crank itself is ridiculously short, again, making it good/stable for revving.

You could be doing 'damage' to your engine by having it in bad tune, so you have to balance the risk of rolling road (which they have to state, in case something does happen) against the long term ills of poor tune on your engines efficiency. If your car does 'blow up' on the rollers, it would have probably blown up when you next thrashed it. Leaset this way it is already at a garage, and not in the middle of nowhere....

Matt

Ex Alfa 33 'GTA' (P4 with Knobs On)
Now cruising in a 166 3.2 Ti!!
QC
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Are you really Reply with quote

an Alfa owner, or just someone who has come in here to take the p**s?

I think you need to ask yourself that and possibly change your car and /or your attitude.
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Are you really Reply with quote

QC wrote:

I think you need to ask yourself that and possibly change your car and /or your attitude.

Er are you refering to yourself here??
alfafan
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Are you really Reply with quote

QC wrote:

What attitude?
Yours? Shocked
Keep cool........

Carlos Oliveira
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: