Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

1.7ie Clutch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blueskev
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: 1.7ie Clutch Reply with quote

So, here is my first technical question.... I'm pretty sure my ie is in need of a new clutch; its got a very long stiff pedal and the judder is horrendous.
I'm reasonably confident of doing the job and Ive seen clutch kits for reasonable prices but there seem to be a lot of different part numbers. I assumed that apart from the P4 and the 16v, they would be the same. Are the clutches different between the models?
Im thinking of changing the slave cylinder and probably the master cylinder too if i can find one at a reasonable price. Are there any makes of clutch kit to avoid?
Cheers,
Kev.
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kev,
As far as i am aware all clutches should fit. I was told the 16v clutches are stronger than 8v.
I would got for a 16v over an 8v, thats if the 8v's are still available, they replaced the 8v's with 16v.
john 33_16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for a decent brand like valeo which were i think the original equipment?

Definitely change the slave cylinder as it takes two minutes with the engine/ gbox out and is a weak point anyway.

I'd personally leave the master- they seem to be pretty reliable and you can always change it at a later date if needed.

Good luck!

John
08 Fiat Grande Punto Exotica Red
90 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis- Silky white/red/blue
eagle3
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigAl wrote:
Hey Kev,
As far as i am aware all clutches should fit. I was told the 16v clutches are stronger than 8v.
I would got for a 16v over an 8v, thats if the 8v's are still available, they replaced the 8v's with 16v.

I thought all the 8vs had the same clutch but 16vs were different in some way(diameter?).

I changed mine without removing the engine as per this(french) process http://alfaimola.free.fr/technique/transmission/embrayage/index.html from ZPs useful site . It was a Valeo kit. ZP doesn't rate the Valeo thrust bearings and recommends SKF IIRC. Anyway the Valeo kit has done 30 000km with no problems so far. I should have changed the slave cylinder at the same time.
Blueskev
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chaps, everything I have seem listed for 1.5 and 1.7 33s is 200mm diameter with 24 splines so it does look like they are the same. £70 for a QH one is about the best I can find so far.
Cheers,
Kev
Oggie
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helix clutches are the best I have used in the past, heavy duty and uber reliable but then again you pay for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: