Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Might need a few tips on panel repairs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Wombat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Might need a few tips on panel repairs Reply with quote

I might have acquired a little something else to play with in the summer.

More details when its officially mine, but in the meantime, is there a published 'how to' on repairing the NS rear wing and wheel arch (fuel filler problem area)?

I believe I can sort a fuel filler panel to make a repair (I have an S3 bodyshell which is very rotten but which has no fuel filler problems), but have not investigated how the bodywork fits together in that area.

The area requiring repair is quite extensive. Rust looks to have spread out a long way from the filler neck, and the entire wheel arch is rotten.

The rest of the car is very very sound (a few surface blisters and spots here and there, and the OS rear wheel arch needs a bit of work, probably more than it looks from the surface).

Any experience or direction appreciated.
- Winter Freelander
- Mrs Wombats Freelander

Projects:
- Various 33s
- Some 155s

Hibernating for 2015
- 75 3.0 Cloverleaf
- 155 Q4 Winny
- Red 33 16v
The Wombat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, can't believe no comments on this. Must not be as common as I thought!!

Anyone got any experience?
- Winter Freelander
- Mrs Wombats Freelander

Projects:
- Various 33s
- Some 155s

Hibernating for 2015
- 75 3.0 Cloverleaf
- 155 Q4 Winny
- Red 33 16v
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusper Alfa and Alex used to have complete panels for this, which is quite a job, otherwise it's a case of cut and paste (fill). I had a series 1 like this many years ago and a mate did the work. Years later the car had been stripped and the whole shell was left rusting outside. This refurbished area was conspicuous by its lack of any rust compared to the rest of the shell Exclamation
The Wombat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul. That's interesting. I might give them a ring just to see if any left, as quite happy to get the spot weld drill out and take it all to bits (did that with a floor pan on a '72 Challenger I owned in the US a while back).

The new toy is a Series 2 33 SW 1.7 QV. Some of you might have seen it advertised on AROC if you have access. Just got home from picking it up.

Here are some pics:

On the trailer on the way back from Gatwick. Diesel Freelander is a good towing car. I was quite surprised, expected it to be even more of a slug, but no, very good.

At home in the courtyard while I re-arrange things to park it under cover:

Genuine Alfa 33 leather interior

Came with loads of spares (2 car boots full) and 8 good wheels. Gearbox, brand new Alfa rear exhaust, quite a few bits of trim etc.

A few mods the previous owner has made to the interior, including a nice set of centre console gauges:

1.7 8v twin carb engine

And the main piece of work that needs doing:

The car has been stored for 4 years, and generally needs re-commissioning, brakes, engine and belts, suspension etc, but it is solid underneath and every panel has, at some time in its life, been pumped full of corrosion inhibitor. The petrol filler rear wing is quite a big piece of work as the rust is fairly extensive, but the rest of the car paintwork is original and very very good, so replacing/refabricating the rear wing and getting it matched into the rest of the car should be straight forward.

Plan is that if on inspection the underneath checks out, I will keep it as original as possible. If I need to do some welding work underneath, then I may use the boot pan and other bits from underneath the pink 33 and put P4 running gear on it. My ideal is to keep it original as it is in such good condition topside and inside, and there are so few S2 SWs around nowadays.

Nothing starts until early June though, so just need to get it in the barn first
- Winter Freelander
- Mrs Wombats Freelander

Projects:
- Various 33s
- Some 155s

Hibernating for 2015
- 75 3.0 Cloverleaf
- 155 Q4 Winny
- Red 33 16v
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today at Spring Alfa Day Alex Poulter sold Mick Skinner a new wheel arch section. Mick said he'd also cut out a section from a spare car in case he didn't get the one from Alex today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: