Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

33 16v update
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Wombat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: 33 16v update Reply with quote

Thought I had better post a little about what is going on with the 33 16v I bought off Alex at the beginning of May.

Will include a few pics of things along the way, but here is what is going on.

First and foremost, its a beautiful car and I am very very pleased with it. Thanks Alex for looking after it and making it what it is.

Alex gave me a good run down of the car's foibles, and I have started to get fairly familiar with it through driving it the last month.

- There was a small tear in the drivers side outer bolster. This seat has now been disassembled and the passenger seat is currently in the drivers position (just swapped the rails, the seat back adjustment fits on either side). A new cover is being made for the bolster and should be done this weekend. I adjusted the spacers under the base while swapping the seat, so the base is lower at the back. No more rubbing head on the sunroof

- While still on the interior, removed the carbon fibre plastic covering from the extra gauges and the heater vents, and replaced with some of that carbon fibre look vinyl covering, and re-trimmed. Just a small tidy up, and pleased with the result

- Brakes were a little lacking, but nothing a brake service would sort. However, I wanted to play with a larger brake conversion, so will be installing Vectra B calipers, 155 V6 discs, braided hoses, and a 75 V6 master cylinder over the next week. All the parts are here, just waiting for the rain to stop. Will post photos of this. I also have a set of rear discs, calipers, and stub axles for the back end on the way

- Have done a bit of tinkering with the engine. Throttle butterflies needed a tweak, and tickover is a bit smoother. Will be doing a fluid service shortly

- The gearshift is weird - some days it is exceptional and you could dispute all the negative feedback about 33 shifts, and other days 1st and 2nd are really difficult to select when the box is warm. Alex flagged the selector rod linkage was up for replacement and I have a new set of bushes to hand, so may take a look at this soon

- Whilst moving the seats, I found a few bits of sill rust under the OS skirt that will need attention soon. I managed to make a couple of small holes, but easy to plate up, does not need new sills just yet. Taking the skirt off, you could see how this progresses. The skirt rubbed through paint at the bottom of the B post, moisture and gravity did their work, and it spread from there. Underside is in great condition with a few spots to replace the protection on, but no worries underneath

- Sorted out the squeak on the NS from strut - the top coil when compressed was rubbing the metal top mount of the strut. A little adjustment of the top mount with a grinding wheel and all is sorted.

- A couple of threads stripped on the NS front hub/bearing carrier. I have a spare that I cleaned up ready to go on with the big brakes. Decided I will put new wheel bearings in while its in bits, as have access to a press to do this. I will get both sides ready to bolt on tomorrow

Really enjoy driving this car, and very interested in what the bigger brakes will do. More on that soon.
- Winter Freelander
- Mrs Wombats Freelander

Projects:
- Various 33s
- Some 155s

Hibernating for 2015
- 75 3.0 Cloverleaf
- 155 Q4 Winny
- Red 33 16v
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Smile
Nice to see its gone to an owner that will continue to apply the much needed TLC to these rare beasts
lee16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigAl wrote:
Nice Smile
Nice to see its gone to an owner that will continue to apply the much needed TLC to these rare beasts

+1

Looking forward to the brake conversion
The Wombat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cover for the bolster was done today, so put the seat back together.

here are a few pics:

Its a good match and should bed in nicely.
- Winter Freelander
- Mrs Wombats Freelander

Projects:
- Various 33s
- Some 155s

Hibernating for 2015
- 75 3.0 Cloverleaf
- 155 Q4 Winny
- Red 33 16v
The Wombat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spare hub carriers cleaned up, new bearings and hubs pressed in, and a couple of coats of paint applied.

I also found a complete set of superflex urethane bushes for the front end in a big bag of spares I got with the white P4. Might end up putting these in while I have the front end in bits.

Anyone had any experience of urethane bushes in terms of ride quality?
- Winter Freelander
- Mrs Wombats Freelander

Projects:
- Various 33s
- Some 155s

Hibernating for 2015
- 75 3.0 Cloverleaf
- 155 Q4 Winny
- Red 33 16v
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, my car is fully polly bushed, best mod you can do in my oppinion.
Turn in is sharper, comming out of a corner the car just settles, feels planted Smile
Don't believe people who say it makes it harsher or louder, I didn't notice any difference, this was when my car was full fat road legal Smile
The Wombat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrs. Think I will do this if my vice is up to pressing the old ones out!
- Winter Freelander
- Mrs Wombats Freelander

Projects:
- Various 33s
- Some 155s

Hibernating for 2015
- 75 3.0 Cloverleaf
- 155 Q4 Winny
- Red 33 16v
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am speaking of Powerflex, only my front ARB's are superflex.
I think the superflex are harder than powerflex, anyone??
lee16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pressing the old ones out was surprising easy. Did it with a G-clamp. The ones I removed had a nylon type outer casing (are they all the same?) so slipped out with reasonable pressure.
The Wombat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee16v wrote:
Pressing the old ones out was surprising easy. Did it with a G-clamp. The ones I removed had a nylon type outer casing (are they all the same?) so slipped out with reasonable pressure.

That's good news if its the case on mine. The suspension looks in fairly good condition (not caked in rust), so hoping that is a good sign.

Slight delay on getting this job started. Was hoping to start on Saturday and get it all done over the weekend with pictures etc, but have a friend coming over to get his Ford Ka(ck) through its MOT!!

By the way, I was reading that its possible to fit the 155 rear stub axles and rotating hubs onto a 33. Has anyone done this? Reason for asking is that I have a set of 33 rear discs, calipers, stub axles and fittings on their way, but rear wheel bearings are part of the hub and may be past their best. They seem to be available but pricey, where-as 155 rear hubs are very very cheap. I have all the parts to experiment with, but wondered if anyone has done this before?
- Winter Freelander
- Mrs Wombats Freelander

Projects:
- Various 33s
- Some 155s

Hibernating for 2015
- 75 3.0 Cloverleaf
- 155 Q4 Winny
- Red 33 16v
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff - I remember Dave Peters used to swap round the seat spacers just like you have. Smile
The Wombat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work on the big brakes is now complete.

I posted a few pics here if anyone is interested:

http://www.alfa155.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=44508

Some might have noticed that I had put the blue 8v up for sale a short while ago. No-one was interested, but I was offered a very good swap which has now happened as detailed below.

It has a few bits of body rust that need sorting:

The windscreen is cracked and needs to come out, so won't be an issue sorting the rust in the top corners. Fuel filler area is perfect, so need to get up into the wheel arch and derust/waxoyl/seal quickly to keep it that way.

I had plenty of time today to get underneath and have a good poke and prod. Bulkhead and floor are very good. Sill seam needs a good cleanup, but I couldn't poke holes in it and the rust is all surface stuff, nothing embedded. Spare wheel tub and boot floor are all good. Suspension, brakes, and lines need refurbing, but the underbonnet area is very clean:

Interior is complete. The carpet is very dirty, but everything is very unworn. I have a spare recaro interior and carpets to go in, so all is fine. Roof lining will need to come out and be cleaned, but is complete and in good nick - very important as its a lot longer than the saloon!!

Overall very very pleased with this. It runs (smells a bit oily so a bit more investigation) but worst case I have a spare 16v lump to go in.

Speedlines did not come with it.

I had a big turnout today to start making space for the re-roofing exercise. This SW will have to wait a while, as I want to get on with my S2, so that is now in the middle so I can move the cars each side out giving plenty of space.

Work on the red 16v saloon is just about done for now. It will get a fluid service soon before a little outing to Mallory, and possibly rear discs. The next big ticket item for me is the S2 (complete rust free rear quarter cut off another car and on its way to me).
- Winter Freelander
- Mrs Wombats Freelander

Projects:
- Various 33s
- Some 155s

Hibernating for 2015
- 75 3.0 Cloverleaf
- 155 Q4 Winny
- Red 33 16v
Bobkelso
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wombat,
really interesting all your work,
you got also a nice space to work Very Happy
I'm interested also to see if rear brake
conversion with 155 parts is easy or not

About the front brake conversion,
opel calipers and carriers you are using come
from a Vectra with 288x25mm disks or 285x25mm?

If they are the type 288mm, did you verified that pads
are not going outside the area of the alfa 155 disks (284x22mm)?

One possible trick would be rework the carrier mount holes
(do them 2mm larger diameter but working 1 mm out of center,
and after fit them with a 1mm thick "ring" spacer to have
normal holes diameter for original bolts)
to move the carrier and caliper 1mm more near the hub axe,
as if they where designed for 286mm disks..may be will be
enough to have all the pads inside the disk area Question

Last edited by Bobkelso on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:27 am; edited 4 times in total
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice collection you have there Smile
The Wombat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobkelso wrote:
Hi Wombat,
really interesting all your work,
you got also a nice space to work Very Happy
I'm interested also to see if rear brake
conversion with 155 parts is easy or not

About the front brake conversion,
opel calipers and carriers you are using come
from a Vectra with 288x25mm disks or 285x25mm?

If they are the type 288mm, did you verified that pads
are not going outside the area of the alfa 155 disks (284x22mm)?

One possible trick would be rework the carrier mount holes
(do them 2mm larger diameter but working 1 mm out of center,
and after fit them with a 1mm thick "ring" spacer to have
normal holes diameter for original bolts)
to move the carrier and caliper 1mm more near the hub axe,
as if they where designed for 286mm disks..may be will be
enough to have all the pads inside the disk area Question

I didn't see the Vectra discs before getting the calipers, but know that they were from the 5 stud version, so am guessing the larger front disks. The pads are actually spot on and just cover the entire disc.

I do have one issue though since installing. Having done a couple of small trips this weekend, the OS disc is now showing appropriate wear, i.e. both sides of the disc are now nice and shiny. The NS disc, however, is appropriately worn on the inside face, but the outside face is only worn on about half the diameter of the disc (the outer half). This suggests that the sliding caliper is not pulling straight, although it is odd that the piston side seems fine. It could also be a minor imperfection in the outside face of the disc, or the pad not being manufactured quite square. I will use the car this week and see how the pad wears, as that might resolve itself.

Despite that, the brakes are excellent. More feel when feeding them in, and very positive when lots of pressure.

- Winter Freelander
- Mrs Wombats Freelander

Projects:
- Various 33s
- Some 155s

Hibernating for 2015
- 75 3.0 Cloverleaf
- 155 Q4 Winny
- Red 33 16v
The Wombat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more work over the last few days:

- Managed to dislodge something underneath over the weekend whilst helping look after some DofE expeditionaries, so had the car up in the air to check and secure. Turns out it was the exhaust, some worn hangar rubbers and some hard knocks, so all sorted
- Took the OS skirt off as there were a few crispy bits. Really needs a new sill, but I couldn't get hold of one easily, so its now a patchwork quilt!! Lots of protection on it before the skirt went back on though:

Checked out the other side and the floor while doing this, and it is very good for a 19 year old car. Floor seams are intact, rear front seat supports are good, floor next to the sills is still covered with the protection. NS has had some work done which still looks sound.

Halfords do a very good spray paint match for AR130!!
- Winter Freelander
- Mrs Wombats Freelander

Projects:
- Various 33s
- Some 155s

Hibernating for 2015
- 75 3.0 Cloverleaf
- 155 Q4 Winny
- Red 33 16v
The Wombat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more work over the last few days:

- Managed to dislodge something underneath over the weekend whilst helping look after some DofE expeditionaries, so had the car up in the air to check and secure. Turns out it was the exhaust, some worn hangar rubbers and some hard knocks, so all sorted
- Took the OS skirt off as there were a few crispy bits. Really needs a new sill, but I couldn't get hold of one easily, so its now a patchwork quilt!! Lots of protection on it before the skirt went back on though:

Checked out the other side and the floor while doing this, and it is very good for a 19 year old car. Floor seams are intact, rear front seat supports are good, floor next to the sills is still covered with the protection. NS has had some work done which still looks sound.

Halfords do a very good spray paint match for AR130!!

Changed the gearbox oil, which has helped the shift, and as I had a spare, swapped the plenum, and tweaked the throttle linkage to get both sides opening at the same time. Seems to have improved pickup a little but difficult to tell for sure.
- Winter Freelander
- Mrs Wombats Freelander

Projects:
- Various 33s
- Some 155s

Hibernating for 2015
- 75 3.0 Cloverleaf
- 155 Q4 Winny
- Red 33 16v
The Wombat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next task:

I have always wondered how a K&N cone filter on the end of the AFM in a 33 can be useful. Looking at that side of the engine bay relative to the K&N position, it might be a low pressure area (never measured so not 100% sure), and it must get warm from that bank of cylinders (again, never measured so not sure).

Anyway, I found a cheap used carbon fibre CDA on the bay with a decent looking silicon elbow and an intact cold air flexible feed pipe. The CDA is quite large and pretty much fills the old airbox area entirely, but going to try and make some sense of it and get it fitted tomorrow, with the cold air feed in as decent a place as I can find to force cold air into the intake.

Will pop up some photos tomorrow as it progresses.
- Winter Freelander
- Mrs Wombats Freelander

Projects:
- Various 33s
- Some 155s

Hibernating for 2015
- 75 3.0 Cloverleaf
- 155 Q4 Winny
- Red 33 16v
The Wombat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next task:

I have always wondered how a K&N cone filter on the end of the AFM in a 33 can be useful. Looking at that side of the engine bay relative to the K&N position, it might be a low pressure area (never measured so not 100% sure), and it must get warm from that bank of cylinders (again, never measured so not sure).

Anyway, I found a cheap used carbon fibre CDA on the bay with a decent looking silicon elbow and an intact cold air flexible feed pipe. The CDA is quite large and pretty much fills the old airbox area entirely, but going to try and make some sense of it and get it fitted tomorrow, with the cold air feed in as decent a place as I can find to force cold air into the intake.

Will pop up some photos tomorrow as it progresses.
- Winter Freelander
- Mrs Wombats Freelander

Projects:
- Various 33s
- Some 155s

Hibernating for 2015
- 75 3.0 Cloverleaf
- 155 Q4 Winny
- Red 33 16v
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can push the flexable hose through the triangle shapped hole on the front panel near the rad. This is the place where the oem air feed comes from Smile
The Wombat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the CDA in place

Really struggled to find a source of fresh air at the front of the car, so the air pipe is now oval and fitted between the radiator and the headlight.

Had to make modifications to the grill by drilling a bunch of holes in the blanked section:

First impressions on driving it for 5 miles or so, is that pick up is a little cleaner, and it revs through a little cleaner, but only very small differences which might be me rather than the car!!
- Winter Freelander
- Mrs Wombats Freelander

Projects:
- Various 33s
- Some 155s

Hibernating for 2015
- 75 3.0 Cloverleaf
- 155 Q4 Winny
- Red 33 16v
33bits
16 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing to see that you are looking after this 33 Niel, i'm pleased you bought it off us, Lorraine was sad to se her beloved Alfa go but seing it like this makes up for it, thanks. Very Happy
33 16v (for sale)
156 JTS sportwagon
contact me for any 33 parts. Alex, 07896-327708
The Wombat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

33bits wrote:
It's amazing to see that you are looking after this 33 Niel, i'm pleased you bought it off us, Lorraine was sad to se her beloved Alfa go but seing it like this makes up for it, thanks. Very Happy

Its a good 'un m8. Sound purchase, and a really strong platform to build on. Very pleased with it, so thanks for letting me have it Very Happy

Next little pieces of work:
- Engine oil change and filter ready for Mallory
- My rear disc conversion has arrived from Greece (along with a complete NS rear quarter from an SW for my S2), so will be getting the rear discs plumbed in over the next 2 weekends. More pics soon on this!!
- Winter Freelander
- Mrs Wombats Freelander

Projects:
- Various 33s
- Some 155s

Hibernating for 2015
- 75 3.0 Cloverleaf
- 155 Q4 Winny
- Red 33 16v
The Wombat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mocked up a rear disc this afternoon after school to get an idea of what problems I might encounter.

Here is what it looks like - don't see many of these around now do you Very Happy Very Happy

A few interesting problems to resolve:

Drums bolt through the end of the beam with nuts on the inner end, but discs have bolts going through the beam into threads in the hub. This means that the top two bolts go in, but to get the bottom bolts in, I need to take the spring off as its in the way.

Handbrake cables off a P4 fit fine.

Worked out routing for the hard brake lines and need to attach a little bracket to the beam at the outer end to take the hard line to flexi joint. P4 has these bolted on, so easy to do.

Just waiting for some braided hoses to turn up and can assemble the whole thing. Should take a morning I reckon.
- Winter Freelander
- Mrs Wombats Freelander

Projects:
- Various 33s
- Some 155s

Hibernating for 2015
- 75 3.0 Cloverleaf
- 155 Q4 Winny
- Red 33 16v
33bits
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice 1, well done that man. I can tell you now that seeing all this work and attention is putting a smile on Lorraine's face (she misses the car). Keep up the good work Niel.
33 16v (for sale)
156 JTS sportwagon
contact me for any 33 parts. Alex, 07896-327708
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum