Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Front inner wishbone bush conundrum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StescoG66
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Front inner wishbone bush conundrum Reply with quote

I have been thrown another curve ball. I bought Powerflex front inner wishbone polybush. Now upon measuring it is the vertical one that sits directly behind the hub - rather than the bar to body bush which is much wider. I cursed and swore the old bushes out, which had the texture and consistency of a week old Jaffa Cake to then find a 5mm difference in diameter between the hole left in the wishbone and the bush to go in it. I suspect that there would be a wee bit too much free play there . Very Happy . . . .

Have I done something really dumb or was there a modification at some point?? Presumably others have encountered this too
StescoG66
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The box mine came in was PFF1 102 - so front inner wishbone.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1394118...17.53.18"></a>

I did note down measurements, however forgot to pick them up . . . . In short, the hole in the wishbone is approx. 46mm, the bushing diameter 40.5 and 56 at the ends. Width is perfect for that application.

The diameter of my polybushes is perfect for both crossmember and body applications - but the width is not (it's way too short for these 2 applications). I somehow suspect it could be wrongly packaged. I'll retrieve all the measurements I took and post up.

EDIT: Measurements as follows.

Poly bush is PFF1 102, and it is a 'top hat' style bush. Inner diameter 41mm, outer diameter 52mm, 47mm wide.
Width is perfect, diameter is miles out as the hole in the wishbone is 45mm.

Crossmember bush diameter is 45mm diameter, 47mm deep.
Wishbone to body bush is 40mm diameter, 53mm deep.

So as you see it is neither of the other 2 bushes. Am thinking of getting a steel sleeve machined to slot in - would that work do you think?
StescoG66
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a couple of sleeves made up from acetal at a wee local engineering workshop. Problem solved Posted Image

Apparently this is the stuff racing bushes are mde from so immensely strong and - more importantly - no corrosion. Smile Job Jobbed!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> For Sale & Wanted All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: