Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

KYB shock absorbers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mg907
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: KYB shock absorbers Reply with quote

I'm going to replace front shocks in my 33, because the left one is completely gone. I found a couple of KYB ones for 150 euro both on the bay. Compared to other ones they are quite cheap, but I wonder if KYB is a good brand, I've never heard anything on regard.
Alternatively I wonder if it is possible to overhaul the front shocks. There is a firm doing this kind of job not far from home, and I'll go to ask.
mg907
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: KYB shock absorbers Reply with quote

Unfortunately the ebay KYB shocks were no more available. In addition I was really not sure they could fit on my 33, there are a lot of different types mounted depending on the year. A little bit confused. Spare parts shops do not sell Alfa 33 shocks anymore and the ones sold on the internet are extremely expensive, more or less the same amount of money I could sell my whole car for Wink
I preferred to get them overhauled by a specialized garage (they asked me more or less the same price as the KYB ones to do the work). But at least I'm 100% sure they fit. And last but not least, I brought them the whole struts avoiding me the annoying and dangerous spring compressing job that always makes me a little nervous.
Let's hope thet will have a long life. I let you know the overhauled shock behaviour as soon I've tested them on my car. In the meantime, has somebody some experience to share about overhauled shock absorbers?
RFlower
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There doesn't seem to be a problem finding shocks here, although not particularly cheap. I often use Oscaro, as I can return parts within up to a year for a small fixed charge.

This is for my Imola and Trofeo https://www.oscaro.com/jeu-de-2-amortisseurs-avant-alfa-romeo-33-907-1-3-88cv-10004-192-0-gt#

This for my 1.7 https://www.oscaro.com/jeu-de-2-amortisseurs-avant-alfa-romeo-33-907-1-7-ie-105cv-10004-277-0-gt#

Other suppliers I use are www.piecesauto24.com
and www.mister-auto.com

I usually compare prices in case there is any big difference, but if it is marginal I prefer Oscaro.
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front shocks are "available" on the internet everywhere but they are out of production and not to be found anywhere.
I hate it when websites such as oscaro advertise parts which they know are not available, just to cancel your order and refund you afterwards. I order from autodoc as they keep their inventory up to date.

Front shocks for 33, not many options, rebuild is one choice, yellow konis are another.

Regards
zp
RFlower
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ZeNiTh-PbArM"]The front shocks are "available" on the internet everywhere but they are out of production and not to be found anywhere.
I hate it when websites such as oscaro advertise parts which they know are not available, just to cancel your order and refund you afterwards. I order from autodoc as they keep their inventory up to date.......................

I had the same experience with www.piecesauto24.com, from whom I ordered the twin rear brake hoses for our Trofeo, but received the wrong ones. When I told them, they sent me a free return label and asked for the VIN and car registration number. I had used these to identify the parts on their web site, and sent them as requested.
They then asked for the Alfa part numbers. I gave them the number for the RHS hose, and its Pirelli p/n, which I managed to find, but I could only send an image of a similar hose to the LHS, with the right connections, but too short.
After this they made no further comment, saying they would issue a credit note. I replied that I wanted a reimbursement to Paypal, which they duly made.
All this took from March 10 to April 8 last year, and I was far from happy with the time I wasted.

www.piecesauto24.com is the same organisation as www.auto-doc.fr , who you are recommending, and their invoices come on Autodoc paper.

Other online sites which are the same group are www.piecesdiscount24.fr and several other online companies around Europe. The parent company is Autodoc GmbH in Berlin.

They are no better nor worse than any other parts supplier, except that, as I mentioned, there is less arguing about refunds with Oscaro, who, although they are sometimes a bit slow to make refunds, accept returns for up to a year.
mg907
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you about the spare parts sites. Anyway, till now I'm more than happy about my rebuilt shocks, in addition it was an environmental friendly solution (Shock absorbers are hard to recycle because of the mix of steel and oil).
I'd like to share with you a method I used to avoid to spoil the hub threads when reassembling the shock on the car

Just two wooden cylinders at the place of the 2 external screws. Once the shock is properly set on the hub you can insert the 2 internal screws. Then remove the wooden cylinders and put the two external screws.[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: