Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

carbs on 16v

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irsbuggy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: carbs on 16v Reply with quote

im building a beachbuggy with an alfa 33 16valve engine.im using dellortos from 1.7 8 valve motor on homemade manifolds.will the 16 valve dizzy be ok with this setup?will i need to tap manifolds for vacum advance?if 16 v dizzy no good ,can i use dizzy from 8 valve motor?what bhp should this produce??more than injection?will carbs need rejetting?any advice gratefully accepted....
lesthegringo
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: dizzy ok, carbs will need rejetting Reply with quote

The 16v dizzy will work fine, but you will need to put the vaccuum advance on as per the factory engines.

As for the carbs, yes, you will need to rejet them, the mains and airs will almost certainly need changing and possibly the emulsion tubes too (expensive!). Don't bother asking someone exactly which jets to put in, because even if they have a 16v with carbs, what their engine wants may not be what you engine wants. It may help as a guideline to get it running but that is all, unless you are very very lucky.

Go to a rolling road to set them up, trust me it will be cheaper and the car will be better all round - I gained 36 hp at the rolling road, and it cost me £118 - that is by far the cheapest power I ever found

Les
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Don't think the 16V dizzy will work. It is just a dizzy with no effect on the timing so will not work with an old style vacuum advance ignition system.

All the best

Keith
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IE dizzy will not work well. You will need to get the carby dizzy with mechanical advance!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strictly speaking, I'm not sure you need vacuum advance. Mechanical advance is needed and the tuning shop that does your jets on a rolling road, might also be able to recurve the advance of the distributor to suit you car.

My understanding about vacuum advance is that it doesn't have much effect at full throttle (very low vacuum), but is used to give more advance and therefore better fuel economy at part throttle. Many cars setup for racing don't have vacuum advance, so if it's extra work to install and you are mainly using the car for track days, hillclimbs etc, then don't worry about it.

Regards, Lex
Auckland/New Zealand
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The main problem is that the 16V dizzy does not have any pickups for the ignition timing at all (that is done through the crankshaft position sensor) so if you tried using it with the old style ignition system you would have nothing to trigger a spark.

All the best

Keith
irsbuggy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: what bhp ??16 valve, inj verses carbs??? Reply with quote

may just stick with the injection....what bhp is it with injection?what estimates with 40mm delortos?anybody know where i can get a wiring diagram,so i can fathom out the vultures nest of wiring?....bloke i bought it off said he would carefully label everything.....did he hell......
Sergio
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A noraml non-CAT 33 16v pumps out 137Hp, and the CAT version 132hp... but I've heard you can easily take them over 150hp with a Air filter, sports exhaust and chip Very Happy

All the Best

Sérgio
alferr
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an the 33 workshop manual on my computer,

email me if you want it, its too big to post

its 18.6mb
irsbuggy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: obrigado,sergio...falo portuguese mais ou menos... Reply with quote

obrigado......
Sergio
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: obrigado,sergio...falo portuguese mais ou menos... Reply with quote

irsbuggy wrote:
obrigado......

Não tens de quê Very Happy
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum