Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Strange clutch

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
micap
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Strange clutch Reply with quote

Hello there

Today when driving home from work I discovered a strange change in my clutch pedal. After a few minutes of driving, when I had to start from a cross section I noticed that the clutch was a bit harder than it used to be, and the clutch point (don't know the exact english word, but the point where you can feel the move) was a lot closer to the floor. The clutch works fine apart from this change, but was wondering if it could be the clutch cylinder. Any thoughts on this?

ex 89 1.7 QV
now 85 1.5 QV with 1.7 engine.
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael
Hate to say this but it sounds like the throwout bearing wearing through the pressure plate fingers, which they are prone to do. The bearing itself is then operating the clutch and the life is going to be very limited. If you find that this is the case then there is a bearing with more area and radius where it contacts the fingers and this should last longer.
Regards Eddie
micap
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I know if that's the problem? If it gets worse and the bearing is the problem, how will I feel that? And if the bearing is the problem, is it enough to change the bearing, or will I need a new clutch?

ex 89 1.7 QV
P4 Paul
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: clutch problem Reply with quote

sounds like you clutch arm pivit pin has snapped and the bearing is not making contact with all the clutch forks.
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael
Symptoms of the clutch wear I described are much as you stated. I looked for a good second hand clutch at my local Alfa wrecker and we went through over 50 to find one that wasn't worn out as I've described. When this happens the pressure plate is a throwaway. The throwout arm pivot hole and the pin itself can wear and this can usually be seen by the arm beeing way off centre where it exits the bellhousing. Both problems are a box out job unfortunately. Inspite of the manuals stating that you have to remove box and engine together this is not so. You canremove the box with a certain amount of fiddling and to refit you slot the L/H hole in the rear engine mount so that with the gearbox refitted to the block you can then raise up the assembly from the rear with the mount loosely bolted to the body and the stud that comes through the bellhousing from the block will slide up in this slot allowing you to then bolt everything up. Hope this may help.
Regards Eddie
micap
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I need a new clutch then. Any things to change while I have the box out? And a list of all the spare parts I need is much appreciated.

ex 89 1.7 QV
micap
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing. If I have to change the clutch, I have been thinking about getting an OMP. What exactly is the difference between torsion springs and rigid disc.

ex 89 1.7 QV
micap
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I expirienced a new chapter in the clutch story. When sitting at a red light, I noticed the revs where dropping, almost like when you release the clutch a bit. So I put it in neutral and released the clutch, but when I had to put in 1st gear, the noise the gearbox made was really awful. All the way home it made the same trick, so I guess the clutch is totally gone now?

ex 89 1.7 QV
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi michael
Sounds like it's stuffed allright Sad You'll need a clutch kit,throwout bearingand the pivot pin for the arm(which is only an ordinary spring pin) Don't forget to check the pivot hole in the arm for wear. Much commiserations.
Regards Eddie
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: