Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Surface rust removal

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravi 33 86QV

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Surface rust removal Reply with quote

G'day all,

After the overwhelming response to my last post (0), I'll try again with another topic!

I have a fair idea of how to get rid of and treat a very small surface rust spot on the tail-gate of my 33. I'm thinking it would involve sandpaper, a bit of rust killer and then some touch up paint.

Can anyone provide me with a little insight into the TYPE of sandpaper to use, what is the BEST rust-kill paint on agent and WHERE to get touch up paint for a silver 33?

Any response would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ravi
Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

how small is "small"? If it's smaller than your smallest nail, then you could first remove the loose paint and rust with a knife or screwdriver, then apply a rust-converting agent and finally touch up with paint. I think that those rust-converters only work on the surface rust, so in case the rust already penetraded deeper in the metal it is better to remove the rust with coarse sand paper / grinder and finalise with fiber glass filler, primer and color lacquer. In case of small touchups, however, the rust convertor should work, I hope (I also use it).

Good luck

Marcin
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Surface rust removal Reply with quote

Hi ravi,

do what marcin said,plus start with corse paper and go down the grit's to 800 grit,if you use water with it,it will help to minamise sanding mark's.that's the 800 grit. as for paint,if you live near a paint shop,they will be able to colour match your paint spot on ish.as it's silver it's best to use a laquer aswell.they should be able to put it all in can's for you,this is what they do in the UK. where is the bit you want to spray? you want to look to see if there is anywhere you can mask to,so you can loose the masking line.

hope this make's sence

john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ravi
Personally I've found the rust converters using Tanic acid to be better than the more common Phosphoric acid based ones . The labels should tell you.
Regards Eddie
Ravi 86 33 QV

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all!
GaryUK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get these little brush type affairs that remove rust but don't mark the paint (firbreglass brush filaments). But a bodge is a bodge you have basically got to respray the whole panel after cutting back to pure rust free metal to get a decent finish that won't start to rot again within a couple of months. Rust eater type chemicals are excrement basically unless you can be 100% sure there is no moisture left under the new paint
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: