Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Is it defying me? Overheating

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hansen
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Is it defying me? Overheating Reply with quote

Have achieved about 299,800kms with a target of 333,333 (which I think is fitting) before considering retiring the beast. However, yesterday was bloody hot in Southern Queensland and it started running very hot. Red warning light on and temp gauge up around 120! Still want to hit the target kms, so am looking at having radiator cored/cleaned and replacing thermostat and water pump. Anything else that I should check? Anything that I need to be aware of when changing the water pump? Thanks for help.
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John
The thermostat is supposed to fail open to prevent boiling although it's not unknown for the reverse to happen. Suggest you check also that the fan is operating by joining the two wires at the fan thermostat with the key on. Might pay you to check that said switch is closing at the correct temp as well as I had to replace all 3 of ours.
Regards Eddie
david

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: is it defying me? Overheating Reply with quote

Hi John-

I'm in QLD also and know exactly the day you're talking about- keep watching my temp gauge in this weather waiting for it go off the chart but so far so good -however I don't need to drive it much during the middle of the day.
If you're in Brisbane let me know as I would really like to see another 33 to compare a few things and there isn't many around.

Regards-
David
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it defying me? Overheating Reply with quote

hi john

as what eddie said about the fan,what you could do is put the fan on an over ride switch on the dash.so if you want the fan to come on just flick the switch and it will still work as normal if you do'nt. could try that.

regards

john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
Dreamracers
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over here in blighty, at motorsport/performance suppliers you can get uprated fans and controller units that are clamped around a radiator hose. Gives much better and reliable cooling.

John Hansen
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:01 pm    Post subject: Response re overheating Reply with quote

Specifically for David,
I'm i n Brisbane eahc weekday call me on 0428 4******. Other guys, thanks for repsonse. Had the radiator cleaned out and replaced thermostat. This seemed to work. Still have cambelts and water pump (that I bought, but didn't need to replace this time). It's nowrunning at normal temps without overheatin, but we haven't had 35 deg C since.
Best regard to all,
John

PS anyone else with over 300,000 kms on a 33?
Rob (Perth)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Fan switch Reply with quote

John,

All of a sudden it has got hot here in Perth - jumped from high 20s last week to 37 C today. Fortunately, I don't need to use my car today as it doesn't have aircon.

I'm thinking of installing a manual override switch for the radiator fan to prevent overheating (even though I replaced the t'stat a year ago - seems to run a bit hotter than before - think it must have been stuck too far open before). Anyway, I'm just a bit worried about having a straight override switch, since it will continue to operate when the iginition is switched off, the way I understand it (cos the heat sensing switch in the radiator is just a short to earth). My thinking is to install a relay in series with the extra switch, with the relay only being powered when the ignition is on.

Anyone had similar thoughts or experience?

Cheers,

Rob
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Rob
The fan is key switched so extending the wires from the radiator switch and back shouldn't present any probs.
Regards Eddie
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan switch Reply with quote

I'm thinking of installing a manual override switch for the radiator fan to prevent overheating (even though I replaced the t'stat a year ago - seems to run a bit hotter than before - think it must have been stuck too far open before). Anyway, I'm just a bit worried about having a straight override switch, since it will continue to operate when the iginition is switched off, the way I understand it (cos the heat sensing switch in the radiator is just a short to earth). My thinking is to install a relay in series with the extra switch, with the relay only being powered when the ignition is on.

HI Rob

what eddie w, wrote is what i was saying you only need two wires and a switch,it's like bridging the two wires together when the rad switch does'nt work,just to get you home.but this way you can turn on and off the switch when you like,plus it will come on with the rad switch aswell,you could put a nice flick up toggle switch,they look the nut's Wink

hope this makes sense

john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
Rob (Perth)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies - I didn't think it would be so simple, because my fan will sometimes run on for half a minute or longer after the ignition is off. Sometimes I have to walk away from the car with the fan busily woking - a bit of a worry in case it doesn't reset, resulting in a flat battery very quickly. That's what I was wanting to avoid with a manual switch.

Just tried a test on the fan and couldn't get it to come on by shorting across the thermal sensor, so it looks like there shouldn't be the problem I was concerned about. But now I don't understand what allows the fan to run on by itself, if the fan is indeed switch controlled by the ignition!

Confused,

Rob
BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob (Perth) wrote:
Thanks for the replies - I didn't think it would be so simple, because my fan will sometimes run on for half a minute or longer after the ignition is off. Sometimes I have to walk away from the car with the fan busily woking - a bit of a worry in case it doesn't reset, resulting in a flat battery very quickly. That's what I was wanting to avoid with a manual switch.

Just tried a test on the fan and couldn't get it to come on by shorting across the thermal sensor, so it looks like there shouldn't be the problem I was concerned about. But now I don't understand what allows the fan to run on by itself, if the fan is indeed switch controlled by the ignition!

Confused,

Rob

Hi Rob ,in my car (1.4 ie of 1992)the fan works even if you switch the engine off,sometimes it comes on seconds after i switch off the car.The previous owner put a switch for the fan to work on demand.From what i can understand he simply took a double wire connected it to the sensor were the fan original gets the start and stop signal and drove it inside the car and put a switch next to the fog light switch(in fact he used another fog light switch so it lights up when you turn on your lights,very handy and you allways know if the fan is working from the light the switch has).
Its very handy on extremely hot days when you stuck in the traffic .
david

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: Is it defying me? Overheating Reply with quote

Hi John-

Your mobile number didn't come through on the post - only 0428 4*****.
If you could email it to me : just@powerup.com.au and I will give you a call.

Thanks-
David
Errol
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive made my fan come on at 85c...but on a hot day, its pretty useless, as the car just keeps getting hotter with the fan on. Im thinking of fitting an oil cooler. Then it will stay on 80c all the time Very Happy
Falken 195 low profile
K&N Pod filter
Cannon 2inch exhaust from cat-back with 3inch tip.
John Hansen
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Overheating Reply with quote

Part of my problem was a clogged radiator - less than 50% of core in working order. Had it rodded out and replaced thermostat - although it was probably still OK (but I'd bought it as well as a water pump, which I didn't replace). Temperature will now go to about 90deg when idling at traffic lights, but will quickly settle back down to a shade over 80 when driving.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: