Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Cross over exhausts Do they work?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spyderman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Cross over exhausts Do they work? Reply with quote

Heres a question
These hard to get hold of Cross over exhausts, think Ansa used to do them.

Are they worth while, in terms of a power mod.

If so what sort of power increase would they be worth if fitted to a 1.7 16v
I know i would have to get one custom made , but as it would be going in my kit car it will be custom made anyway.
Toad
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

145/146 Boxer's had a crossover exhaust.. If that's any help to you
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that the original exhaust system was as good as any cross-over performance mod. They are apparently a waste of money - might sound nice though!
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross over exhausts Do they work? Reply with quote

Spyderman wrote:
Heres a question
These hard to get hold of Cross over exhausts, think Ansa used to do them.

Are they worth while, in terms of a power mod.

If so what sort of power increase would they be worth if fitted to a 1.7 16v
I know i would have to get one custom made , but as it would be going in my kit car it will be custom made anyway.

AFAIK Factory 16v is even cross over, at least on few models I looked under 1990-1992 LHD 33 16v with ABS /not that latter matters.

While 33 16v Permanent 4 again LHD with ABS, all had uneven crossover, because of power loss due to 4x4 and exhaust pipes which are going left righ up-down, because prop shaft is in middle wherefwd 16v has boxes and pipes.

With good cross over (one on P4 surly is) you gain low end backpreassure/torque without rear box being too much restrictive.
P4 first box is straight through silencer (free flow box), while back box has only one difference (between it and freeflow) conical drilled pipe that goes 1/3 of box lenght.

With bigger diameter exhaust piping then original you should gain some hp and torque at high end/rpm, but you should loose some of it on low and mid range rpm making it even worse to driver around city.

Tino
mannit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My 1993 16v has a crossover as standard which apparently is to reduce the manifold length to fit in the cat, but I think it is to give a power gain to try and make up for the cat!

Had a full Ansa system including crossover manifold on an Alfasud 14 years ago which was fantastic. It used to go bannanas over 4500rpm. The only problem was the ground clearance. On the 33 though the manifold bends round the sump so not a problem

John
Buck Bundy
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a full Ansa system put on my first Sprint. The guy who fitted it reckoned it was good for an extra 8bhp on an otherwise standard 105bhp engine.

Whether it was or not I'd never be able to tell because when I gave him the car it was badly set up, but when I got it back it was superb. The crossover pipes got a good few dents put in them but were pretty tough.

The sound was superb, but I guess you could have achieved the same from just the Ansa back box.

The Sprint I have just bought is also fitted with a crossover manifold, but it isn't nearly as low as the Ansa, a compromise, perhaps? Unfortunately it has been fitted with a 'Kwik fit' type of system behind it, which will have to be replaced.

Buck
Peter D
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Cross-over manifold Reply with quote

The original 16V cross-over manifold found on some cars are not the real thing, because the lenght of each pipe before gathering together is not the same.

The cross-over manifold gives a better, more even flow, due to the ignition sequence (two cylinders in the right side fire after each other, and then two cylinder in the left side of the engine fire after each other). But the lenght of the individual pipes should also be the same.

I have not made tests on the 16V engine, but in the old days we made a lot of tests, and the cross-over manifold gave about 5 bhp extra, and in the whole rpm-range, not just at the top.

The extra bhp was less on a standard 1.2 (maybe 2 bhp), but the gain increased with the capacity and tuning grade, so that on a 1.5 tuned to about 110 bhp, the gain was about 6 bhp.

Peter (DK)
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody have pipe dia. and length figures for these exhausts. presumably the dia is different for a 1500 as against a 1700.
Regards Eddie
RpmHead
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross-over manifold Reply with quote

Peter D wrote:
The original 16V cross-over manifold found on some cars are not the real thing, because the lenght of each pipe before gathering together is not the same.

Hi Peter,

I wonder if any of you have experience with the manifold
from IRESA on the 16V engine?
IRESA art-nr. 3056 Alfa Romeo 33 16v. 374,12 €
http://www.iresa-web.com
'69 Giulia Super
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Peter D
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Cross-over manifold on 16V engine Reply with quote

Hi Stian

Thank you. Iresa obviously still exists. Then I will contact them.

On their website I cannot find the informations that you found about partnumber and price. How did you find it?

I do not have experiences in the form, how much more power does the Iresa manifold give on a 16V boxer (only the old experiments that I told about).

I had the manifold on my 1.7 16V racecar (now sold), and I still have it on my 1.5 8V supercharged trackday car. But most of the changes were made at one time, so you cannot single out how much each change contributes.

I now (after 15 year of use without problems) want to change my 1.5 8V supercharged engine to a factory new 1.7 16V with the same supercharger, and then I need the cross-over manifold for the 16V.

Peter (DK)
RpmHead
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross-over manifold on 16V engine Reply with quote

Peter D wrote:
Hi Stian
On their website I cannot find the informations that you found about partnumber and price. How did you find it?

Hi, there. It's looks like the IRESA web-pages are in some flash-format
and I can't get any direct link to the manifold. Is's not in english either.
Here are what you should do:
Press 'Nuestros productos'.
Press 'Colectores de escape'.
Press 'Ver tarifas' (under the nice manifold).
And there you have the price list.

Peter D wrote:

I do not have experiences in the form, how much more power does the Iresa manifold give on a 16V boxer (only the old experiments that I told about).

My contact at IRESA told me that the ground clearance of the car is not affected by their manifold. They can even mount pickup hole for a lambda sensor at no extra cost if you send them a drawing.

They also have a complete exhaust system in 60 mm. diam. wich will
fit the manifold. Price exhaust system: 303,00 Euros + VAT.
For boxers they have very good camshafts (for both hydraulic or mechanical followers), inlet manifolds for fitting 2 x IDF carbs, special valve springs, titanium retainers.

I've also got a drawing of the complete exhaust system which I can fax to you if it's of interest. I've got no other picture other than the pic on Tim's Alfa Romeo page.

PS) I'm looking for a LSD and some thicker sway bars in front and rear.
I'll send you an email on this if it's ok with you. I'm a member of the Norwegian Alfa club and you sendt me some TÜF paper on some 7x15"
wheels on sud/33 a time ago. Thank you for that.
'69 Giulia Super
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum