Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

question to Bill and another problem

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ns

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: question to Bill and another problem Reply with quote

[quote="BILL"]
" could the sound be coming from the engine ?I mean from the valves ,when you are low in oil and start the engine after along period you can hear the valves knocking for a second and then after they get the oil presure high they stop knocking"

Hi,

What does it mean this knocking? When I bought my alfa 33 16v '91 (one year ago) the knocking was heard (cold engine) but not hard even I could not recognize it with close bonnet. One and half month ago all belts, water pomp and lambda probe were replaced by AR dealer and I put K&N filter. After that the knocking becomes very hard till engine warms up, petrol consumption increase, before 40L - 400 km, now 40L - 320 km. (I fuel up by the same petrol station). Also appear the next problem, when I start to drive with hot engine, after stopping for 5-10 minutes, car can not accelerate, it can be drove very slowly, but if I give full throttle, throttle collapses. So I have to drive slow and throttle very carefully and softly. After reaching 40-50 km/h the problem disappears. Can somebody explain what kind of problem my car have Question
ak8635
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had my acceleration collapsing and it was due to changing to a new petrol station.. When i refuelled again to my old one, the car was ok..
Errol
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: question to Bill and another problem Reply with quote

[quote="ns"]
BILL wrote:

" could the sound be coming from the engine ?I mean from the valves ,when you are low in oil and start the engine after along period you can hear the valves knocking for a second and then after they get the oil presure high they stop knocking"

Hi,

What does it mean this knocking? When I bought my alfa 33 16v '91 (one year ago) the knocking was heard (cold engine) but not hard even I could not recognize it with close bonnet. One and half month ago all belts, water pomp and lambda probe were replaced by AR dealer and I put K&N filter. After that the knocking becomes very hard till engine warms up, petrol consumption increase, before 40L - 400 km, now 40L - 320 km. (I fuel up by the same petrol station). Also appear the next problem, when I start to drive with hot engine, after stopping for 5-10 minutes, car can not accelerate, it can be drove very slowly, but if I give full throttle, throttle collapses. So I have to drive slow and throttle very carefully and softly. After reaching 40-50 km/h the problem disappears. Can somebody explain what kind of problem my car have Question

Does it sound like a tapping/knocking noise? It could be the hydraulic lifters in the engine? I had that problem with mine where it could make a bad tapping noise then stop once it got past 50c. Just disappeared after that...
Falken 195 low profile
K&N Pod filter
Cannon 2inch exhaust from cat-back with 3inch tip.
ns

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: question to Bill and another problem Reply with quote

Does it sound like a tapping/knocking noise? It could be the hydraulic lifters in the engine? I had that problem with mine where it could make a bad tapping noise then stop once it got past 50c. Just disappeared after that...[/quote]

It is knocking noise which is not periodical and is not regular.
BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi NS!!

First my 33 is 8valve not like yours(16V) so if the sound comes from the valves(they are self adjust) yours should sound twice as bad as mine,i think.
I asked my mechanik the first time i heard it and he told me not to worry,its the self adjust of the valves.Its only heard if the car stands still for more than 3 days,or if the oil is very low (near the min mark) and you can hear it for a second then it stops.the best thing to do is to go to an ALFA mechanik to take a look at it in order to be safe than sorry.
Now for the other problem could it be the AFM Question but the other owners of 16V should know better.

I hope i helped even a little Very Happy
ns

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BILL wrote:

First my 33 is 8valve not like yours(16V) so if the sound comes from the valves(they are self adjust) yours should sound twice as bad as mine,i think.
I asked my mechanik the first time i heard it and he told me not to worry,its the self adjust of the valves.Its only heard if the car stands still for more than 3 days,or if the oil is very low (near the min mark) and you can hear it for a second then it stops.the best thing to do is to go to an ALFA mechanik to take a look at it in order to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for answer, Bill.
I'm foreigner in Holland as result I don't know any good mechanik of AR here. It seems that in Holland all service centers can only do replacement without knowledges of how it works (It's not only my opinion). Usually they ask what I want to do and then they do it Sad. As I said before after their works car becomes to work too worse Sad.

May be somebody can advise a good mechanik in Holland? (not expensive, of course)

BILL wrote:

Now for the other problem could it be the AFM Question but the other owners of 16V should know better.

I hope i helped even a little Very Happy

I think you are right, by using "tester" I found code error 1-2-2-1 - "Airflow meter indications not appropriate to engine RPM and position of idle adjustment switch".
Does anybody know how the problem can be solved Question

Thanks everybody,
With kind regards, NS.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: