Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Difficult to start when engine is hot

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
micap
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Difficult to start when engine is hot Reply with quote

I have a carbed 1,7 engine, and sometimes it's pretty difficult to start the engine when it's hot. I have to press the accelerator all the way to the floor, and then turn the engine over for a few seconds. It only happens when I've just turned off the engine, and then try to start it again. If I wait 5 minutes it's normal again. Anyone know what it might be?

ex 89 1.7 QV
now 85 1.5 QV with 1.7 engine.
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Have you tried when hot, not pressing the loud pedal at all?
micap
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but then it doesn't start at all. I have always used a little tap on the accelerator to start it, but lately it has become a big tap.

ex 89 1.7 QV
now 85 1.5 QV with 1.7 engine.
Finnland
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Alfa 90 used to have a similar problem and that was due to that the electronic advance in the ignition was shot. Replaced it and it worked just fine.

oo-v-oo
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Common with most Weber / Dellorto equiped cars. Heat causes fuel in the float bowl to evaporate, venting into the inlet and causing it to be rich. Depressing the accelerator fully makes it lean (with a low air speed through the carb on full throttle the preasure drop isnt large enough to pull much fuel out of the float bowl)

All the best

Keith
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: An even more bizarre starting habit! Reply with quote

Hi,

Once in a while when firing up my '93 1.3 I get a rather unusual welcome. The starter goes round 4-5 times and, seeing that I don't us the car that often, I let go of the ignition as not to drain the battery. A split second after giving up the starter engine I tap the accelerator (with clutch in) and the engine roars into life!

My brother has also encountered the same phenomenon.

I must say, though, that despite the fact that my car is very healthy, I do get the odd starting problem when the car is hot, which is most definitely down to fuel evaporation.

One way to improve your engine's starting performance is to add an injection cleaner to your fuel supply. A good brand is Wynn's - I've used it and it works wonders - especially if the car has been used frequently in city traffic.

Regards

James
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: