Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

HELP! - 33 Series 3 16v Cambelt Timing Problem

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam H
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: HELP! - 33 Series 3 16v Cambelt Timing Problem Reply with quote

I’m in an interesting sitch – having rebuilt my 16v 33 engine I’ve put the engine back in and timed the cams according to the instructions on http://www.alfisti.co.uk/16v_boxer_belts.htm Since then, the engine has run on 1 & 3, but cylinders 2 & 4 won’t run.

Now I’ve thought laterally, then read the instructions several (hundred!) times and then I tried moving the belts around a bit – this afternoon I moved the belt so that, with the ‘V’ (triangle) lined up in the hole above the engine, the two ‘I’ marks on the upper cambelt wheel were aligned with the single ‘I’ on the lower one. (I’d previously had the 2 ‘deltas’ aligned with each other)

I tried the precautionary ‘turn engine over with socket on the end of the crankshaft and it stopped turning over due to a mechanical contact. Hmm, - won’t try to start it!

So, where do I go from here – can someone please advise me how I achieve the correct timing for cylinders 2 & 4? My car belongs on the road, not jacked up!

I assume the ‘V’ (triangle) on the flywheel is the one that is about 20 degrees from the TDC indicator on the flywheel, and when timing the belts originally, I timed 1 & 3 and then turned from the TDC mark to the ‘V’ mark and then set the timing for 2 & 4. Should I have turned the engine over 380 degrees or so to align it that way?

Many thanks

Adam H
PJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam,

Don't quote me on it, but being that it won't run and you'll try turning it by hand before firing her up, I would line up the deltas as they are meant to point to each other, the I denotes TDC, I think. One bank fired that way, after all.

I'd then check the rotor arm posn against the piston position (using the pokey stick in the plug hole method).

Did have a 16v 33 but never did the belts on it - if you can see the cams even better so you can decide if the problem cylinders are trying to fire when they should do followed by exhaust stroke, not inlet.

Hope you have some luck.

Paul.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: