Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Stuck in 5th gear!!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helen
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Stuck in 5th gear!!! Reply with quote

Mad

My 89 Alfa 33 1.7ie is stuck in 5th gear. The gearstick moves from 5th gear to approximately where neutral is, but is stuck in the far right position so it cannot go into neutral or change into other gears. It is physically impossible to move it to the left or into reverse. It makes no difference whether the clutch is in or out. Has anyone got any ideas on how to fix this, or had a similar problem?

Helen
Rob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Stuck in fifth Reply with quote

Can be two things:

first, the gearlinkage from lever to box. This can loose a clip and control is lost. this is easily seen under the car at the point where the linkage is at the box.

second, inside the box something has turned loose. Fortunately the box ha a sump that after opening shows the gearshifting mechanism.

Succes,

Rob
zp (not logged in)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: re : stuck in 5th gear Reply with quote

hi

to my mind it is possible that the synchro sleeve has split open and the fork is stuck.
you should have a look at it by removing the sump and inspecting the shifting mechanism and the shafts.
while it is possible to solve a linkage problem with the gearbox in the car, any trouble related to the shafts (ie synchros) will require a gearbox removal.

regards,
zp
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose this post is a little late, but we had similar trouble this week with our 147. The gear linkage just needed greasing.
Ravi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how likely this is, but I actually had the same thing happen in my Alfetta. Accelerating hard and shifting from 2nd to 3rd - snapped the cog and the diff!!!

Hope this hasn't happened to you!
Graham
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this problem happen in my car several times now. It is caused by the selector fork spreading and locking against the drive shaft. If you message me back I can give you the name of my Alfa Mechanic in Brisbane and they can look after you as I will give them your details and they should be able to organise a good deal for you.

Also own 2 Complete 16V Engines(Spare) And Have a Sud Rally Car in Production
JamesD
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Stuck in 5th gear Reply with quote

I had the same in a Sprint, the problem was with the selector fork and the selector shaft. A new fork and all was OK (plus fixing 2nd gear synchro and so on...) I have used Euroconnection in Brisbane and found them reliable. Think on it as a good time to check the clutch, and do put in a new bush kit in the gearshift linkages - makes it feel like new again!

Good luck
James

33S16VP4 (now)
Previous - Sud,Sud,33,Sprint,33: I lost the pills......
Graham
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Euroconnection was who i was going to suggest. That is where I take all my cars and i am very good personal friends with the owners Michael, Brenda and Dieter.

Also own 2 Complete 16V Engines(Spare) And Have a Sud Rally Car in Production
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: