Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Electric Power Steering Pump

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken McCarthy
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Electric Power Steering Pump Reply with quote

Is anyone aware of an aftermarket electric power steering pump? I have read that they are fitted to Citroen Saxa (?) and Puegeot 106 but I don't know anything about these cars.

Thanks & regards
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Citroen Saxo and Peugeot 106 are actually the same car! I've never heard of an electronic power steering pump though.

My wife has one - but without power steering Rolling Eyes

I'll take a look for you though as I have the manual. Why are you interested in this? Would the gain by not having the power steering driven off the engine just be negated by the extra work the engine would have to do to run the alternator at higher amps?

Bob
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true!

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=citroen_saxo_electric_hydraulic_power_steering_pump
itiejim
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Electric power steering pump. Reply with quote

Hi,

most modern cars use electric power steering these days. It's consumes less engine power and therefore fuel. They're generally critisised for providing very little feedback though. Don't know whether the pug/citroen has it though.

Jim.
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I 'd like to make a point about this. Mostly low class cars have electrohydraulic steering which has the capability to work either on hydraulic mode or electrical one. Electrical is triggered when car is in low speed (eg when parking) and hydraulic mode when cruising at higher speeds.

In addtion electrical A/C compressors have appeared in the market with the same purpose ; to reduce the load in the engine.

An example of these two applicatons is the Daewoo Matiz as it is only 1000 cc and too much load from steering and A/C would drain mostly every horse out of it ...

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puntos also have electrick power steering.I have a HGT and i must say that the steering is heavier in it than in the 33,not in the city mode ofcourse.
Ken McCarthy
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I am trying to clear a belt drive to give room to fit a supercharger. I already run an electric water pump and am not giving up my air conditioner.

Regards
LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the drifting world quite a few of the nissan boys are now using 106 or saxo PS pump as it takes the load off the engine.

there was a problem with the pump pressure with one of the electric pumps tho. the nissan system has a high pressure area of 995psi (no thats not a typo!) and some of the pumps were not up to the job of the high pressure so the steering became sluggish or worse still for drifting, it would pause a second before coming back the other way when it was at full lock. not good.

i'll see if i can dig out the pressure outputs from the 106/saxo pumps. but they seems to work ok on the nissan 200sx s13 amd s14 cars.

L.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum