Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

carbs on 16v.which dizzy?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
irs buggy
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: carbs on 16v.which dizzy? Reply with quote

hope this question is clear...building a beetle chassised buggy with beetlegearbox and 16v quad cam.gearbox and adaptorplate im thinking of buying may be using adapted beetle or 8valve alfa flywheel,so wont have the extra bit which the sensor thing pickups from...question is...if i use carbs on engine(insteadof injection) will existing dizzy work ok?if not,can i use the 8 valve one??? ps.hope im not offending the purists out there...i love alfas[especially the engines) but with a beetle chassis with porsche rear suspension/brakes and minimal fibreglass body i hope to have the best of all worlds
rsfruitbat
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 8V dizzy would work as It should just bejsut the same as a non injected car. Dizzy wont know if its an 8V oor 16V. Not sure about fuel injected cars as I dont know if the ECU tells the diazzy when to fire or does any modification to when the firing occurs.
If you are going to use nothing electrical i.e. no ECU, no fuel injection, I suggest you go for the simplest setup.

Regards rsfruitbat
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

16V dizzy is just a dizzy, no advance / retard mechanism built in so not really suitable.

An 8V dizzy might well work (probably will), but might not quite have the best advance curve for the higher revving 16V engine.

All the best

Keith
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep 8V dizzy will work, we been using it in the RWD Corsa project, along with a Jetronic system from a 205GTi Pug

zp

hugh jinjin
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, I have an adaptor plate for a v/w gearbox if you're interested. It's a bit hand knitted but does work! I've also got a dizzy that would do you and a nice pair of 45 dellortos that would be perfect for a 16v.
baldy
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Ignition Reply with quote

This is the best investment you can make. I used the following on mine and its fantastic. www.autosportlabs.org/viewtopic.php?t=1679
good luck, Razz lee
irs buggy
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: questions...... Reply with quote

hugh ji jin...how much you after for adaptor plate ,etc(do you have the input shaft for gearbox ?)

baldy....does that ecu kit come as parts that have to be soldered together?? how much does the the whole lot cost?how did you make your manifolds?halves of injection manifolds and carb manifolds welded together??....a mate laser cut plates that fit onto 16v heads and similiar to fit onto bottoms of carbs that now need some bits of pipe (or something..)welded between the plates....my only concerns with this are poor matching=poor airflow,where pipes weld onto unusual shaped holes in plates that bolt onto heads...also no water heated facility on manifolds...what are your thoughts?????
baldy
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi you can buy the ecu as a kit and build it yourself soldering etc. i bought mine ready assembled.try ebay thats where i got mine from. other parts you need are ford - throttle(TPS) -coilpack - crank sensor - and crank sensor ring 36/1 and an edis module. all can be found in the reckers for peanuts. comes with instuction and is straigt forward to assemble and i am no sparkey Confused manifolds are 16v ones with the tops cut of and a patern of the 8v ones made up and welded on top the porting takes time!!!! there are some ready made ones on ebay somewhere under either alfa sud 33 or sprint .

http://www.autosportlabs.com/index.php?language=en

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALFA-ROMEO-33-1700-16V-145-ALFASUD-WEBER-DELLORTO_W0QQitemZ220219757426QQihZ012QQcategoryZ9903QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MEGAJOLT-IGNITION-V3-2-1-TPS-INC-EDIS-CABLES-CD-NEW_W0QQitemZ300211965725QQihZ020QQcategoryZ72205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

cheers lee
hugh jinjin
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just had a re-think, the adaptor is for a hewland mk8/9 ie upside down beetle! so might not be any good unless the bolts are in the same place. I'll have a look at it tomorrow.
hugh jinjin
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

measured the adaptor today, its not symetrical so your box wouldn't fit unless you flipped it upside down! I'm looking for 220 for the carbs, they're very good condition, only ever been on a race car. I'll give you a pair of 8v carb manifolds to chop up to give you a flange to weld to the top of the 16v throttle bodies as well. if you want the carbs you can have the dizzy for nothing if not then a tenner plus postage? I'll give you the ignition amp as well and whatever bits of the loom it needs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum