Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Electric Windows

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravi
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Electric Windows Reply with quote

Hey all,

After much fiddling and make shift remedies, I finally have got my 1986 style, series I, power windows working again. I tell you - those dash mounted buttons and contacts are an absoulte b*tch!!

Next task - now that I have the windows working again, they move REALLY slowly. What would my fellow Alfisti suggest in this regard? New motors from a jap/later model car?

Cheers

Looking to upgrade to a 16v?...
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they moving really slowly because the window mechanism is very stiff and the motors too feeble by design, or because there are too many poor connections and voltage drops in the circuitry (meaning motors can't get enough power and new motors might not help)?
Are they still slow when the engine's running?
I've had no trouble from my electric windows yet (aside from poor connections in the fusebox), fingers crossed.
Rob (Perth)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ben has hit on the most likely cause for slow operation - low voltage supply thanks to additive bad connections in the circuit. It would be worthwhile to clean up all the connectors, or better still, replace them with new (and maybe some of the wiring at the same time). Also don't forget that the copper wiring in older cars oxidizes over time and causes resistance - apparently newer automotive wiring is better. Don't forget the fusebox - your '86 Alfa probably has the torpedo shape fuses which make very poor electrical contact at the best of times - clean up the contact surfaces there too.

I have a series 1 Alfa 33 too (1984) and both original window winders have failed. I replaced the driver's side winder with a manual winder (imported from Italy), but the passenger side I replaced with a winder from a series 3, which was MUCH better made than the series 1 winders. The window operation is much faster with this winder, so I'd recommend you keep a look out for newer replacement winders.

Also, the window track gets gummed up with junk over the years. You could try brushing the felt parts of the track with an old toothbrush (fairly stiff bristles needed, so paintbrush not suitable). You'll find a surprising amount of dust comes off when you do this. You can also try spraying the tracks with silicone spray, but I'm not sure this has helped my windows at all.

Cheers,

Rob
Rob (Perth)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS

If you are lucky enough to find series 3 winders, try to get hold of the mechanism complete, not just the motor. It is one helluva bitch to dismantle and reconnect the Bowden steel cable - I know!

Cheers,

Rob
Ravi
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys. Ben - you may well be right, I didn't think about the possibility that the circuitry was inefficient. Although, the windows wind up and down at the same speed whether the engine is on or off. Maybe they were always that slow?

In any event, I am going to disassemble the door and window panel, clean everything out, and then put it all back with loads of foam padding to stop rattles.... I HATE RATTLES!!

I still have this mystery squeak in the back of my 33 that I cannot find for the life of me!! I even had a mate in the back looking for it as I drove over bumps!

Cheers

R

Marcin
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I still have this mystery squeak in the back of my 33 that I cannot find for the life of me!!

Sounds familiar, I think it's the rear springs or suspension bushes.

Marcin
BILL
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcin wrote:
Quote:
I still have this mystery squeak in the back of my 33 that I cannot find for the life of me!!

Sounds familiar, I think it's the rear springs or suspension bushes.

Marcin

Or from the brake valve(front/rear balance ).
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yea Bill's right - check the spring that connects to the brake pressure regulator. Under the regulator there is a seat like an upside U that holds in place the spring (the one that "understands" the load of the car and thus the brake pressure needed for the rear wheels).

I also have this problem and the short term solution is to place grease over the union of these two; but after some days dirt etc. start again the noise.

What I plan to do is take from the tyre shop an old tyre tube , cut it and fold it twice and then place it between the regulator and the sring. Who knows it may do some trick...

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Ravi
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys mean the brake proportioning valve? I could have sworn this noise was coming from inside the car - near the parcal shelf or something.

The squeak almost acts like a "speed limit" device. As soon as I hit about 100km/h, the squeak kicks off in a big way. Must be something to do with the vibrations at those speeds.

If it was anything under the car, I reckon it is most likley to be the suspension / bushes. What's the best way to fix this if so? A bit of grease on the springs and bushes?

Thanks

R

spider59

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: rear squeak ! Reply with quote

The only squeak I have not been able to eliminate from my 33 is one that comes from the rear hatch rubbing on the rubber seal. Put some silicone on the seal and if the noise goes away this is your problem and I havent found a sloution other than to keep spraying with silicone
Eddie W
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fold down backrests can also squeek if not latched properly.
Regards Eddie
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: